Pre-reqs for quasi-interantional students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Immuno-guy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently in a Ph.D program and am looking to enter dental school upon graduation next summer.

My undergrad classes were taken in the UK, but my grad classes were here. I am loath to retake ALL my undergrad classes again in order to fulfill the stated requirements of UIC dental school. I recently wrote to UIC admissons with the hope of hearing that I've done enough. I got this, incredibly depressing, rather generic, response:

"Thank you for your interest in the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Dentistry. As long as you have completed 90 semester hours including our prerequisite requirements at a United States College or University, then you would be eligible to apply to our DDS program. If you would like to schedule an appointment to speak specifically about your credentials, let me know and we’ll set up a time to meet."

So, now I am left wondering, looking at the email over and over, do I really have to retake a few years worth of classes to atone for a UK education? I really want to go to dental school, but retaking all those classes? I'm begining to wish I'd asked before spending much of this year studying for the DAT. I really didn't think it would be a problem. After all I graduated in 2000. That was a long time ago.

I realize there is an international section, but I am a resident and I am looking for local advice/opinion before meeting with the lady I emailed.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.