Pre Reqs not completed yet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student0192

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a freshman pre-dental, and I'm wondering how hard it is to get accepted without all your pre reqs for admissions.

My top two schools right now are UNC and University of Washington. The pre reqs are pretty much the same. For UNC though you don't need the biochem lab, just lecture. UW doesn't specify so if I did only do the lecture, would this hurt my chances there?

Also, would it hurt my chances if I didn't have a lower level class like Chem 2 or Physics 2 completed by the time I apply? I can't seem to find the exact answer I need..Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean when you say you'll apply after sophomore year? if you apply after sophomore year you'd be applying for a dental school cycle that would be happening while you are still in high school??

And as for prereqs, it doesn't matter much to the schools as long as you get them completed before matriculation. Your greater problem would be not being prepared enough for the DAT which covers things like CHEM 2 as you mentioned.

You can apply without all your pre-reqs the only requirement is they must be completed by time you matriculate. It is possible to get in a year early (without Bachelors degree) however you must be very competitive. Shoot for a 3.8+ GPA for science, biochemphysics, and overall along with a 22+ DAT. You have to make the adcoms believe that you are mature and can demonstrate that you have a very good work ethic through your GPA and DAT. Also get working on shadowing and volunteering and building that application. It is possible and I know some that have succeed. I tried last year (on a whim) and got interviews but no acceptances (but my GPA was lower). Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can apply without all your pre-reqs the only requirement is they must be completed by time you matriculate. It is possible to get in a year early (without Bachelors degree) however you must be very competitive. Shoot for a 3.8+ GPA for science, biochemphysics, and overall along with a 22+ DAT. You have to make the adcoms believe that you are mature and can demonstrate that you have a very good work ethic through your GPA and DAT. Also get working on shadowing and volunteering and building that application. It is possible and I know some that have succeed. I tried last year (on a whim) and got interviews but no acceptances (but my GPA was lower). Good luck!
Okay yeah, thats the other option I figured OP was going for. However I wouldn't recommend it. I think the added pressure of needing to be more competitive to gain acceptance isn't worth the extra year to get your degree. But all ultimately up to personal preference.

So I'm a freshman pre-dental, and I'm wondering how hard it is to get accepted without all your pre reqs for admissions.

My top two schools right now are UNC and University of Washington. The pre reqs are pretty much the same. For UNC though you don't need the biochem lab, just lecture. UW doesn't specify so if I did only do the lecture, would this hurt my chances there?

Also, would it hurt my chances if I didn't have a lower level class like Chem 2 or Physics 2 completed by the time I apply? I can't seem to find the exact answer I need..Thanks!

Like others have said, you don't need your pre-reqs done before you apply, just before you start dental school. I'm curious how much research you have done on admissions to dental school based on your top 2 schools. Unless you are a Washington resident or live in a state in the western alliance, your chances of getting into UW are slim to none. Same goes with UNC, not to mention the very high out of state costs.

Like others have said, you don't need your pre-reqs done before you apply, just before you start dental school. I'm curious how much research you have done on admissions to dental school based on your top 2 schools. Unless you are a Washington resident or live in a state in the western alliance, your chances of getting into UW are slim to none. Same goes with UNC, not to mention the very high out of state costs.

I don't think there's anything wrong with setting high goals. I live in Tennessee, so I know I most likely won't get into UW. Why not try though? I don't feel like UNC is out of the question though. I'm also going to apply to UT Memphis since that is in-state.