Pre-reqs question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vetmed<3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I am finishing up my applications to Davis, U of Missouri, U of Wisconsin, and Tufts. I might be overthinking things, but how do schools see details regarding courses you have taken for prereqs? Like there's nowhere on VMCAS to attach syllabi or explain what courses should satisfy which requirements.
For example, Davis requires a 3-part general biology sequence. My school offers 3 courses not marked as general biology, just randomly taken in any sequence, which fulfill the "general biology" requirement of a biology major. Likewise, U of Missouri seems to accept writing-intensive courses for the composition requirement. I have taken a few, but they are not marked as writing-intensive on my transcript (just on the syllabus). Basically it would be easier if there was a way to attach syllabi to VMCAS or an explanation section for the pre-reqs. I guess I could call the schools, but that doesn't feel very official/direct. I would appreciate any helpful advice/feedback from those who've been through this process. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I am finishing up my applications to Davis, U of Missouri, U of Wisconsin, and Tufts. I might be overthinking things, but how do schools see details regarding courses you have taken for prereqs? Like there's nowhere on VMCAS to attach syllabi or explain what courses should satisfy which requirements.
For example, Davis requires a 3-part general biology sequence. My school offers 3 courses not marked as general biology, just randomly taken in any sequence, which fulfill the "general biology" requirement of a biology major. Likewise, U of Missouri seems to accept writing-intensive courses for the composition requirement. I have taken a few, but they are not marked as writing-intensive on my transcript (just on the syllabus). Basically it would be easier if there was a way to attach syllabi to VMCAS or an explanation section for the pre-reqs. I guess I could call the schools, but that doesn't feel very official/direct. I would appreciate any helpful advice/feedback from those who've been through this process. Thanks

Honestly do not worry about it. The schools will go through your class list and mark the classes that satisfy the requirements. As you have already pointed out, your school does not have a 3-part general biology sequence... mine did not either, and neither did many other candidates. Many schools structure their classes differently, that's fine. From what I can remember on VMCAS last cycle, there is a section where you match the required course list of a school to the corresponding classes on your transcript. Fortunately UW- Madison did not require this. Someone can probably speak to this better than I can.

In regards to your writing intensive course, my guess is that it will be fine, especially if the course was marked as writing intensive when you enrolled. Vet schools can always verify with your College/University. If they have any qualms, they will send you a notification informing you of not fulfilling the pre-requisite courses. Of course, you can always contact the schools and ask them the best way to show them that you are substituting a writing intensive course for the English composition requirement. There is nothing inherently wrong with contacting schools directly for clarifications during an application cycle.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,
I am new here to this website. I have a major question. I come from a BS degree in Sports Medicine similar to Kinesiology. The classes I took for that degree are not exactly Introduction to Biology 1&2 but I have taken MANY biology classes. So my question is does it necessarily have to be the general biology 101 and 102 or can I apply classes like cell bio, anatomy to this pre-req. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I am new here to this website. I have a major question. I come from a BS degree in Sports Medicine similar to Kinesiology. The classes I took for that degree are not exactly Introduction to Biology 1&2 but I have taken MANY biology classes. So my question is does it necessarily have to be the general biology 101 and 102 or can I apply classes like cell bio, anatomy to this pre-req. Thanks!
The best way to find out is to email the schools you are interested in and see if they would accept other Bio classes. Maybe if there was a higher level general bio I and II? In general though, you will need to take General Bio I and II with lab and mostly likely won't be able to substitute it with cell bio or anatomy since a lot of those classes can also be a pre-req and also focus on different things.

Reactions: 1 user
The best way to find out is to email the schools you are interested in and see if they would accept other Bio classes. Maybe if there was a higher level general bio I and II? In general though, you will need to take General Bio I and II with lab and mostly likely won't be able to substitute it with cell bio or anatomy since a lot of those classes can also be a pre-req and also focus on different things.

Thank you so much for your response!! I will do that. You have been very helpful.

Hi all,

I can only speak about the University of Missouri. Last year they said if your transcript show a W on it for the course, they will consider it writing intensive. It is doesn't contain the W, email the admissions office and ask them what they need in writing from your university to satisfy the requirement. I hope that helps.