PREDICTIONS: What do you think will be some of the outcomes from this pandemic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmrmd

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If political just state what you think will happen so it doesn’t devolve into ugliness. Otherwise whatever you think.

Mine: Supply chains including pharmaceuticals out of China. This happens regardless of who is elected after their threat of limiting exports.

Members don't see this ad.

$O$ reform, an exodus of doctors from hospital employment, establishment doctors' union, slashing of bureaucracy and red tape, dissolution of PROP, wider adoption of regen med, liability litigation against hospital admin for decades

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$O$ reform, an exodus of doctors from hospital employment, establishment doctors' union, slashing of bureaucracy and red tape, dissolution of PROP, wider adoption of regen med, liability litigation against hospital admin for decades
That’s just your Christmas wish list.

Reactions: 12 users

Yep this is what the public really is thinking about at this time

Reactions: 1 users
increase in hospital ventilator beds in the USA. Corona is sort of like a 500 year flood when the dams are built for a 100 year flood. if more beds are not built then people will have to get used to shutting down the economy every so often.

But why an exodus from hospitals? If anything, aren’t solid, salaried positions with hospitals much more stable in downturns than say, private practice, production-based Pain?

Steroids and NSAIDS are simply not an option for some people (immuno-suppressed. etc).

Traumeel? That's used at our office. Also some insurances are starting to pay for regen. one of our patients recently mentioned that her prp for knees was covered by insurnace

Steroids and NSAIDS are simply not an option for some people (immuno-suppressed. etc).
But treating a tennis elbow with regen med for cash now is?...lol

Reactions: 1 user
But why an exodus from hospitals? If anything, aren’t solid, salaried positions with hospitals much more stable in downturns than say, private practice, production-based Pain?

My employed MD friends keep telling me how Admin sits at home writing emails but expects them to come into work. They feel like they have very little control over the situation and decisions are being made by non-clinical idiots.

Reactions: 6 users

I would think that if anything, there would be a flight away from individuals taking on all the risk of overhead in an office based practice.

What will happen long term as far as changes? Probably nothing. After 2-3 bad quarters of economic activity and an "echo" in the winter,things will be back to normal in about a year.

People tend to have short memories.

Reactions: 2 users
My big hope is that working from home becomes more normalized. It has several advantages to traditional office settings.

1. Reduced traffic, traffic related deaths, commuting time for workers
2. Reduced environmental impact
3. Improved capability to prevent and contain future epidemics
4. Increased happiness of workers
5. Reduced burden of childcare
6. Increased productivity

I'm sure theres some drawbacks that I am not familiar with. Given so many people work on a computer all day and the ability for video conferencing, I think now might be the wake up call to change our work culture.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My employed MD friends keep telling me how Admin sits at home writing emails but expects them to come into work. They feel like they have very little control over the situation and decisions are being made by non-clinical idiots.

I consider myself an employed MD friend. Our local decision is based on what Dr. D tells me on my hallway. She is one of the two ID docs at our hospital. If she says shut it down, it shuts down.

• Inappropriate
Ability to set up large field hospitals with the national guard and staff them as well as surplus of ventilators. Will almost certainly happen. For profit hospitals always run at the ragged edge and having all the quarantine people there doesn’t make sense anyway.

1. Many private practices will go under or choose to close leading to a major transition to hospital or government employed docs.
2. More red tape will be created to "ensure access to emergency/epidemic care" leading to increased hospital costs. This will be supported by increased funding to the best-connected hospitals. Smaller hospitals will go out of business or be absorbed by larger systems.
3. Major stimulus checks will be given to the lower-paid populace and to well-connected businesses. This will lead to higher taxes on those who won't get anything (i.e. us).
4. Biden will become president because people will be hurting and he'll promise more free government goodies than Trump will. People will vote for comfort above all else.
5. Telemedicine will be more accepted and CMS will loosen it's requirements.
6. We'll make and store too many ventilators which will sit around a few years then be sold to third world countries for pennies on the dollar.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
lighten up Francis....more 3rd parties are starting to cover it.
good .. hate to see a rash of tennis elbows go untreated during these trying times

• Haha
Ability to set up large field hospitals with the national guard and staff them as well as surplus of ventilators. Will almost certainly happen. For profit hospitals always run at the ragged edge and having all the quarantine people there doesn’t make sense anyway.
There should be need-specific field "hospitals" that are explicitly for vent/ARDS pts in isolation. Highly trained staff. We all know how inefficient hospitals are. These need a totally different structure. Army Corps of Engineers or National Guard.

1. Many private practices will go under or choose to close leading to a major transition to hospital or government employed docs.
2. More red tape will be created to "ensure access to emergency/epidemic care" leading to increased hospital costs. This will be supported by increased funding to the best-connected hospitals. Smaller hospitals will go out of business or be absorbed by larger systems.
3. Major stimulus checks will be given to the lower-paid populace and to well-connected businesses. This will lead to higher taxes on those who won't get anything (i.e. us).
4. Biden will become president because people will be hurting and he'll promise more free government goodies than Trump will. People will vote for comfort above all else.
6. We'll make and store too many ventilators which will sit around a few years then be sold to third world countries for pennies on the dollar.

You want to go back to work for these jokers?

1585084697780.png

• Angry

I agree with this minus point 4. I think Biden's senility will become too apparent. Trump will destroy him during debates.

Would add: feds will use this as excuse to strip away MORE of our rights, similar to what happened after 9/11. Most likely will do more heathcare data mining and tracking on us. Will track our clinic supplies of meds and PPE. Will track our travels more closely. I don't have an evil mind like the feds, but am confident they will use this as a power grab as they always do.

This will likely destroy the majority of remaining private practice and the objective of Obamacare will be complete; transition control of physicians to hospital wage slaves.

Some red tape will be eliminated but only the red tape that hinders hospital systems. Private practice will not benefit.

Physical war with China may emerge from this, once the extent of the Chinese coverup is revealed. Clearly, the feds are trying to change American sentiment in anticipation of this shift.

Manufacturing will NOT shift from china to USA, even if we have war. The rich will not allow their profits to be cut. That is going to be funny.

Reactions: 3 users
People do not care about private practice docs going belly up. Sorry. They are more worried about eveything else right now.

This will strengthen hospitals, but not necessarily the docs who work for them. This pushes us closer to federal gvt control of healthcare

People do not care about private practice docs going belly up. Sorry. They are more worried about eveything else right now.

This will strengthen hospitals, but not necessarily the docs who work for them. This pushes us closer to federal gvt control of healthcare

Do you think fewer choices are better? No one wants to get their health care at the post office.

we hit the other side of the bell curve in two weeks. American trust in the government and our safety starts to climb. Along with this confidence comes a slight market rebound which only adds to America's trust in its government, the overall situation and economy. We start going back to work with "stay home" recommendations only for the elderly or those w/comorbidities. We roll into election season with the market just below pre-pandemic levels. Trump wins the election and the market blasts past the 30,000 mark. In fact it does so well I retire in 2021 at 43 on FIRE!! I spend the rest of my days on my Centurion perfecting the craft of wake surfing.

That's basically how I see it going down

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
we hit the other side of the bell curve in two weeks. American trust in the government and our safety starts to climb. Along with this confidence comes a slight market rebound which only adds to America's trust in its government, the overall situation and economy. We start going back to work with "stay home" recommendations only for the elderly or those w/comorbidities. We roll into election season with the market just below pre-pandemic levels. Trump wins the election and the market blasts past the 30,000 mark. In fact it does so well I retire in 2021 at 43 on FIRE!! I spend the rest of my days on my Centurion perfecting the craft of wake surfing.

I don't think you're that far off to be honest.

Since the democrat politicians are acting like their usual normal selves, maybe we are getting back to normal

Since the democrat politicians are acting like their usual normal selves, maybe we are getting back to normal
Speaking of democrat policies, hopefully soon toilet paper is selling at buy 1 get two free. Then we are in the clear.

We start to open up and mid April which would be 3 to 4 weeks rather than 2 weeks. But there is a large regional variation with areas opening up at different rates or in phases. Flare-ups here and there continue to be in the headlines for months. Deaths to covid19 in the hundreds of thousands before vaccine is developed.

The US and world economy take a hit. Being in a downward economy we tend to blame the president and so Biden gets elected.

Stock market takes over 2 years to return to previous all-time high.

Society takes a big shift toward telecommuting and social interaction is altered regarding handshaking and hand hygiene.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Society takes a big shift toward telecommuting and social interaction is altered regarding handshaking and hand hygiene.

I always thought that European way of kissing each other on the cheek not once but three times was kinda disgusting...

After I visited Japan I was amazed at how different their customs are in terms of social distancing and cleanliness. They bow instead of shake hands, they wear masks on public transit, the streets of Tokyo are remarkably clean, and the homeless population is low.

It doesn't surprise me at all that they are dealing with COVID-19 remarkably well. Of course, they have other economic and societal issues but they are very well equipped for this.

After I visited Japan I was amazed at how different their customs are in terms of social distancing and cleanliness. They bow instead of shake hands, they wear masks on public transit, the streets of Tokyo are remarkably clean, and the homeless population is low.

It doesn't surprise me at all that they are dealing with COVID-19 remarkably well. Of course, they have other economic and societal issues but they are very well equipped for this.
They also don’t have Mr. Potato Head as their president, telling them that the warm weather will melt coronavirus

• Inappropriate

We can only hope.

weren't they hit pretty hard by MERS and SARS unlike us? I imagine/hope things will change here for the better after all this. Hopefully we'll be a cleaner more hygienic society

We all end up working for the " Tiger King"

agreed....they are used to it. Their population density is so much different than ours.

A more robust and fully-functional "Alexa".

Me: "Alexa, call my 9-o'clock patient and refill their medications. Please evaluate and document appropriately for a 99214."

Reactions: 9 users
I am shocked and disheartened that no one believes that this mess will reveal the flaws of having a healthcare system in which all decisions including medical decisions are made by either bean counters or physicians turned into what the Nazis called "Funktionshaftling" (prisoners in a Nazi concentration camp who were assigned by the SS guards to supervise forced labor or carry out administrative tasks in exchange for more lenient treatment for themselves). If the public doesn't recognize this and act on it then they absolutely deserve sh*tty care that they receive. If we don't make a TREMENDOUS amount of noise about this in an effort to change this then we are a bunch of idiots.

Last edited:
My hope is that it will restore the public’s trust in science and medicine and increase/return funding to those areas.

I am shocked and disheartened that no one believes that this mess will reveal the flaws of having a healthcare system in which all decisions including medical decisions are made by either bean counters or physicians turned into what the Nazis called "Funktionshaftling" (prisoners in a Nazi concentration camp who were assigned by the SS guards to supervise forced labor or carry out administrative tasks in exchange for more lenient treatment for themselves). If the public doesn't recognize this and act on it then they absolutely deserve sh*tty care that they receive. If we don't make a TREMENDOUS amount of noise about this in an effort to change this then we are a bunch of idiots.

They don’t. We won’t.

Public doesn’t care enough to make a difference, they are reactionary, not visionary.

We doctors won’t stand up for ourselves. We haven’t yet.

My hope is that it will restore the public’s trust in science and medicine and increase/return funding to those areas.

I wish. But everything before all this happened was literally “cut healthcare dollars” “we spend too much on science, medicine, and healthcare” and oh yeah “doctors make too much for what they do”.

I don’t honestly think those general sentiments will change. Appreciation and awareness for these things (or anything for that matter) lasts as long as the average attention span these days. Think of how many times the nation has said “teachers deserve a raise”, but when it comes to actually paying for that raise, everyone turns their heads.

They don’t. We won’t.

Public doesn’t care enough to make a difference, they are reactionary, not visionary.

We doctors won’t stand up for ourselves. We haven’t yet.

Sadly, this may be true. They (and perhaps some of us) have done a good job of turning the public against us and turning our younger generation of physicians into wRVU focused assembly line workers who keep their heads down, raise their hands for permission to use the rest room and don’t care or know what it is like to be a real doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly, this may be true. They (and perhaps some of us) have done a good job of turning the public against us and turning our younger generation of physicians into wRVU focused assembly line workers who keep their heads down, raise their hands for permission to use the rest room and don’t care or know what it is like to be a real doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you mean the ones with jobs who dont have to worry about furloughing employees right now and are getting a steady paycheck? what idiots they must be........