Pregnant Going into MS1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Longtimecoming

Reaction score
I'm just curious on if there has been anyone who has experienced this? Like females due in September or close to it. What was your experience like?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious on if there has been anyone who has experienced this? Like females due in September or close to it. What was your experience like?

I've not experienced this. What I can say is that you'll have been to school for less than a month, and you may be asked to take a leave of absence and enroll the next year. You should reach out to your school advising resources now to plan ahead.

I have seen several women have babies during the first two years of medical school. I would definitely talk with your school about what you will do after baby is born. For my school in the first semester there is a ton of anatomy lab ~9hours a week but that is basically the only requirement. The biggest part will be if you have a supportive spouse/family who will be able to help you during your required times on campus. I definitely would try to get as much studying done before baby comes and make sure you have a good study routine down.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have seen several women have babies during the first two years of medical school. I would definitely talk with your school about what you will do after baby is born. For my school in the first semester there is a ton of anatomy lab ~9hours a week but that is basically the only requirement. The biggest part will be if you have a supportive spouse/family who will be able to help you during your required times on campus. I definitely would try to get as much studying done before baby comes and make sure you have a good study routine down.

I have a daughter who will be two in June. Extremely supportive spouse who is a stay at home father currently while I work.

I have a daughter who will be two in June. Extremely supportive spouse who is a stay at home father currently while I work.
You will be just fine! Having support at home is the most important part of your success so you know your children are well cared for while you achieve your dream. Does your school seem family friendly? I would talk with your student affairs department and just make arrangements for that time you might have to miss. Always plan for worst case and hope for the best. It also is not the end of the world if you need to take a LOA. I had to take one when my son was born extremely prematurely and my school was very understanding and helpful through the process.

Reactions: 1 users
You will be just fine! Having support at home is the most important part of your success so you know your children are well cared for while you achieve your dream. Does your school seem family friendly? I would talk with your student affairs department and just make arrangements for that time you might have to miss. Always plan for worst case and hope for the best. It also is not the end of the world if you need to take a LOA. I had to take one when my son was born extremely prematurely and my school was very understanding and helpful through the process.
I haven't been accepted yet. I received notice that I'm high on my top choice's ranked waitlist and from past years admissions patterns I have a high chance of becoming accepted. My interviews were in October/November and I was waitlisted then.

We were trying to plan and have the baby the summer before school. My spouse and I always wanted two and to have them 2-3 years apart so they would grow up closer. I really wanted to be done with breastfeeding before boards or residency. But we had a harder time conceiving than we thought we would. (I became pregnant while on birth control with my first. ) After a few months we were going to hold off but I was actually already pregnant.

The school I believe I have the best chance of getting off the waitlist seems very family friendly and community based. I spoke with one student on sdn who is a single mom of a special needs child and they feel extremely supported there but I couldnt find any specific policy on this subject.

Once you're accepted, contact the school and find out their policies on making up missed work due to delivering during the school year.

At our school, if the missed time is excusable & not excessive, they have a built in make up period during Christmas break, and you have to complete the missed exams by the end of either the first or second week after the Spring semester begins.

We've had classmates miss due to medical issues & come back, make up work and continue on time, as well as classmates who deferred due to pregnancy, took a LOA and returned the following fall, etc. Each situation is unique, and it's impossible to predict that you will have a perfectly smooth delivery with a minimum hospital stay, but it's also impossible to say that you won't either.

Most school accommodate for lactation as well, providing private rooms for pumping.

Are you currently pregnant or thinking about it? I personally talked to my dean before starting to try to get pregnant and she gave me different timelines that would work. At my school, having a baby in the middle of 1st and 2nd year would necessitate redoing the year if I were to take any time off (unless I tried for the summer between 1st and 2nd year). But for 3rd/4th year there is incredible flexibility to schedule maternity leave. I got pregnant midway through 2nd year to have a 3rd year baby.

Are you currently pregnant or thinking about it? I personally talked to my dean before starting to try to get pregnant and she gave me different timelines that would work. At my school, having a baby in the middle of 1st and 2nd year would necessitate redoing the year if I were to take any time off (unless I tried for the summer between 1st and 2nd year). But for 3rd/4th year there is incredible flexibility to schedule maternity leave. I got pregnant midway through 2nd year to have a 3rd year baby.

Currently pregnant with a due date in September. Honestly, we were trying to time it where the baby would come before school would start and after being waitlisted at all my interviews we were just trying so I wouldn't be pregnant during interviews for the upcoming cycle. We were going to stop trying but I had actually already gotten pregnant the month before. Babies and life outside of career goals is difficult to plan but I'm happy my kids will be close in age and I have a supportive partner.

Currently pregnant with a due date in September. Honestly, we were trying to time it where the baby would come before school would start and after being waitlisted at all my interviews we were just trying so I wouldn't be pregnant during interviews for the upcoming cycle. We were going to stop trying but I had actually already gotten pregnant the month before. Babies and life outside of career goals is difficult to plan but I'm happy my kids will be close in age and I have a supportive partner.
I have a friend who had a baby in the middle of M1... it was so so so so hard for her. talk to your dean. I would take a year off.

Hi everyone!

SO I was accepted today, which is so surreal.

It appears that deferring a year may be an option and this was the response I had from student affairs inquiring about their specific policies: Students get Maternity leave as allowed by Human Resources. Depending on how much time they take off during OMS I or OMS II years they may need to reenter the curriculum the following year. During OMS III and IV they can return to their rotations when they are released.

Congratulations on your acceptance!!

Congratulations on your acceptance! Breast feeding in anatomy lab will be a unique experience :)

• Okay...
Alright, thank you to everyone who has posted!! I sent it a request today to defer and matriculate Fall 2021.