Premed reqs through the military? is it possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentist82

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I want some feedback from guys who has been through the same situation as I'm proposing. I would like to enlist in the army and try to get into medical specialty like x-ray tech or surg. tech, I also want to take the pre-med courses while in service. Is this possible? Will I have time to go to college?

To give you little info about me, I'm a green card holder and I'm a foreign trained dentist (I know!! but I want to be a doctor) :rolleyes: so I'm very familiar with medical courses and materials. I don't have a family and I'm 27.

I believe I can take multiple courses every semister, however, I'm not sure if I would have the time to do it. Any ideas?

Thank you and God Bless!

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone,

i want some feedback from guys who has been through the same situation as i'm proposing. I would like to enlist in the army and try to get into medical specialty like x-ray tech or surg. Tech, i also want to take the pre-med courses while in service. Is this possible? Will i have time to go to college?

To give you little info about me, i'm a green card holder and i'm a foreign trained dentist (i know!! But i want to be a doctor) :rolleyes: So i'm very familiar with medical courses and materials. I don't have a family and i'm 27.

I believe i can take multiple courses every semister, however, i'm not sure if i would have the time to do it. Any ideas?

Thank you and god bless!

no.

navy hospital corpsmen are kinda cool..
also, like last post, no.

Members don't see this ad :)
navy hospital corpsmen are kinda cool..
also, like last post, no.

Thank you guys for responding. Is the military life that busy that you can't take 9-12 credit hours? What about reserves?

Thanks!

Thank you guys for responding. Is the military life that busy that you can't take 9-12 credit hours? What about reserves?

Thanks!

Well, when you are in Iraq it is kind of hard to take classes. But, when I wasn't there I was a full time student. Also, I have deployed twice in the last 5 years.

Well, when you are in Iraq it is kind of hard to take classes. But, when I wasn't there I was a full time student. Also, I have deployed twice in the last 5 years.

Thank you, I understand the deployment part of it, I worked with the military in Iraq for 2 years as civilian contractor myself (Arabic Linguist) before I came to the states. How hard it is to get a medical related job in the reserves? I can't trust recruiters.

Thanks!

Thank you, I understand the deployment part of it, I worked with the military in Iraq for 2 years as civilian contractor myself (Arabic Linguist) before I came to the states. How hard it is to get a medical related job in the reserves? I can't trust recruiters.

Thanks!

It is all based on your ASVAB GT score which should be relativley easy. Then you can choose what job you want (Lab tech, rad tech, surg tech, medic, etc) and go onto AIT (advanced individual training)

I would highly recommend you don't go this route if time is an issue.

It is all based on your ASVAB GT score which should be relativley easy. Then you can choose what job you want (Lab tech, rad tech, surg tech, medic, etc) and go onto AIT (advanced individual training)

I would highly recommend you don't go this route if time is an issue.

Thank you, time is an issue to me, I'm 27 and came to the states 18 months ago. I don't have a stable job and really really love to be a medical doctor. I don't like to be a dentist for the rest of my life. I wanted to join the army because I wanna serve as military doctor in the future but also for financial stability and college assistance. But thank you for your advice, I really appreciate it.

God Bless!