Premeds: Do you keep yourself in shape? What is your routine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are health-conscious, how do you keep yourself in shape? My regime is 2 miles a day on the treadmill coupled with some weightlifting. I also make sure to get my protein in every day and watch my caloric intake. This seems to work okay for me, but I feel like I have hit a barrier. I was able to get down from 180 to 130 under this regime. I want to build strength in my muscles, but I feel like I might have to switch up my routine that had been working for me in the past.

What is your routine to keep yourself in shape? What is your diet like?

Members don't see this ad.

Carb cycling and vary your weight lifting routines. Cardio is tricky everyone has a happy median, too much and itll suck away your muscles, 2 miles should be fine. Losing weight is all diet, for me its staying committed long term. Its hard to diet all the time and never get a cheat in.

Reactions: 1 user
Mon: Back/triceps
Tue: Legs
Wed: Shoulders/bike (30min minimum)
Thurs: Chest/biceps
Fri: Run (3.5 miles)
Sat: Abs
Sun: Run (5 mile)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, guys. This gives me a better idea of how to vary my routine.

To try to avoid inevitable Modly relocation to the social forum, you might try adding "Premeds" somehow to your title.

I didn't think about that. The thread can be relocated, if it needs to be. I just changed the title to include pre-meds.

I have a 3 day cycle that is 1hr each session and I hit it 6 days a week. Also I usually throw in abs everyday.

Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps
Shoulders/Legs

I eat six large meals and get 1g of protein for every pound I weigh.
As for cardio, I don't really do much since I don't want to lose my gains, but I do take short breaks between sets to keep my heart rate up.
I was able to put on 30lbs of muscle in 1yr doing this routine.

I have a 3 day cycle that is 1hr each session and I hit it 6 days a week. Also I usually throw in abs everyday.

Chest/Triceps
Back/Biceps
Shoulders/Legs

I eat six large meals and get 1g of protein for every pound I weigh.
As for cardio, I don't really do much since I don't want to lose my gains, but I do take short breaks between sets to keep my heart rate up.
I was able to put on 30lbs of muscle in 1yr doing this routine.

How do vagitarians get their protein though? I've always wondered...

I train/teach Brazilian Jiu Jitsu 4-5x a week and I'll do a heavy, full body workout 3 evenings a week. I wake up 90 minutes earlier than I have to so I can fit in yoga before school.

I eat basically the same thing every single day except the weekends (this is because I'm weird and neurotic, but it does mean that i always know my caloric intake).

Mon: Curls
Tues: Curls
Wed: Curls
Thurs: Curls
Fri: Curls
Sun: Curls

Welcome to the gun show

Reactions: 20 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mon: Curls
Tues: Curls
Wed: Curls
Thurs: Curls
Fri: Curls
Sun: Curls

Welcome to the gun show

Think you may enjoy this.

Reactions: 5 users
Mon = Legs (Squats, hamstring curls, calf raises, lunges, sometimes leg presses).
Tue = Shoulders (Military shoulder press, side raises, barbell shrugs, dumbbell shrugs)
Wed = "Rest" (This is actually my busiest day so can't go to the gym)
Thur = Chest (Flat bench w/ barbell, incline bench w/ dumbbell, dips, occasionally some other random exercises)
Fri = Abs (A lot of weighted sit ups, crunches, leg raises, and finished off with a nice, long plank)
Sat = Arms (Dumbbell curls, barbell wide-grip curls, close-grip curls, tricep extensions, close-grip flat bench, pull-ups)
Sun = Rest/Arms/Cardio depending on how I'm feeling and how busy I am.

That's the basic layout, but I change it up fairly frequently to keep things fresh and interesting.

Don't forget the synthol injections

anomalia_synthol.jpg

I just don't skip leg day. Biggest gains ever. Don't even have to lift, brah.

Pectoral implants and you're good to go. No need to change your routine.
EZZ7

m: chest/arms
t: run 4-5 miles
w:back/shoulders
th: run 4-5 miles
f: abs/light cardio or rest depending on how I feel
sa: run 4-5 miles
su: rest

You guys tend to run a lot. I'm concerned it may be bad for the knees in the long run. I personally prefer swimming and biking.

Regardless of what I do or don't do, I do feel a certain degree of pressure to reach the physique goals I have before I, hopefully, matriculate to medical school in a few years. I have a hard time imagining someone's physique improving during medical school and residency. It'd be nice to just maintain for several years at that point.

Most of you guys want to have gains, but do too much cardio that kills your chances of getting gains.
come-at-me-bro-i-do-cardio2.jpg

Worked out 4-5days a week in undergrad, and now I work out 3-5days a week as an MS1. As hard as it is you need to put down the books and go exercise. There have been numerous articles on the positive effects of exercise on the body &, most importantly for us, the brain- it can boost cognitive ability.

A combination of lifting and triathlon. I could talk about this for days, but basically: lift in the mornings; swim/bike/run training in the afternoons. I'm pretty serious about both, and there were times when I've focused on only one (i.e. stopped tri training and only hit the gym). The most I've weighed was 225 when only lifting, and the least is 165 when only racing (and boxing in college).

My goal this season is to race my 70.3 Ironman in 5:45 and still be in the "1000-lb Club".

You guys tend to run a lot. I'm concerned it may be bad for the knees in the long run. I personally prefer swimming and biking.

Don't think that swimming and biking won't be bad for your knees. Everything is basically bad for your knees. It' all about minimizing your risk for injury.

Squat, bench, deadlift, military press, barbell curls, weighted decline sit-ups, and 30 minutes of liss cardio everyday.

Two non consecutive days are max effort.
The other 5 days I do submaximal training IE using less weight(50-65% of max) doing pause work and speed work.

Truth. I used to be a runner but pushed myself too hard at a half marathon recently and totally messed up my knee. I've been trying to transition to swimming but am finding that my running endurance doesn't translate into swimming endurance :(

Truth. I used to be a runner but pushed myself too hard at a half marathon recently and totally messed up my knee. I've been trying to transition to swimming but am finding that my running endurance doesn't translate into swimming endurance :(
As cliche as it sounds, just keep swimming. I used to be a horrendous swimmer; I couldn't even push past 200 meters without stopping. Read up on some basic technique - mainly, keeping your body streamlined in relation to the water's surface - and keep at it. I still remember the morning in the pool when it all "clicked", and I felt like I was putting in minimal effort, almost like being pushed along by a wave while you're body surfing at the beach. Sometimes I still have mornings where I battle through the first few 100 meters, then your body loosens up, you fall in a rhythm, and you feel like you can swim indefinitely.

As cliche as it sounds, just keep swimming. I used to be a horrendous swimmer; I couldn't even push past 200 meters without stopping. Read up on some basic technique - mainly, keeping your body streamlined in relation to the water's surface - and keep at it. I still remember the morning in the pool when it all "clicked", and I felt like I was putting in minimal effort, almost like being pushed along by a wave while you're body surfing at the beach. Sometimes I still have mornings where I battle through the first few 100 meters, then your body loosens up, you fall in a rhythm, and you feel like you can swim indefinitely.

This is to everyone. People need to keep their backs straight when they swim. If they don't they get all this lower back pain.

Pro tip: The rhythm has to do a lot with your breathing.

Fix these two things and a lot of issues with swimming will fade away.

Source: I am a BEAST!

Last edited:
5 day split, chest + abs, back, legs + abs, shoulders/arms, conditioning. 2 days of rest total in 7 days at any point I feel I need it. Rotate exercises out after 3 weeks for new ones which target the same/similar muscle groups. Biceps and leg curls are the only isolation exercises in my rotation. Everything else is compound. Routines are 30-45 minutes long.

As for food, lots of eggs, lots of chicken, protein powder, power bars, milk, multivitamin, bread, pasta. 3200+ calories per day. Gained ~15 lbs in the last year without an increase in fat %.

YAHILIFT.

Gym 3-4 days a week Push/Pull/Legs (I generally break apart Push cause its too taxing for one day.

I'm cutting right now so, 1800 Cal/Day 150g Protein, 60g Fat, Rest Carbs, IIFYM NAHIMEAN? (YOUPROBDONNOWHATIMEAN)

3-4 Days Morning Brisk walks, 3-4 Miles each Fasted.

Regardless of what I do or don't do, I do feel a certain degree of pressure to reach the physique goals I have before I, hopefully, matriculate to medical school in a few years. I have a hard time imagining someone's physique improving during medical school and residency. It'd be nice to just maintain for several years at that point.
Improve? I've seen it happen.

I don't advise starting a cut during Neuro block in the midst of a heinous winter though, that was a bad idea on my part..

I try to keep it simple and I'm a fan of compound lifts:

Workout 1:
5x5 Deads
5x5 Squats
5x5 Overhead Press

Workout 2:
5x5 Bench
5x5 Squar
5x5 Barbell Row

48 hours between workouts. Increase weight by 5lbs each workout. This is basically Stronglifts 5x5.

Workout 1:
5x5 Deads
5x5 Squats
5x5 Overhead Press

Workout 2:
5x5 Bench
5x5 Squar
5x5 Barbell Row

48 hours between workouts. Increase weight by 5lbs each workout. This is basically Stronglifts 5x5.

Great split

Everyone in this thread doing body part splits should drop their program and run what Vespasian is doing.
You will build a lot more muscle and strength.

Aikido twice a week for 4 hours, along with lots of walking to and from classes. I don't eat crap, either.

Workout 1:
5x5 Deads
5x5 Squats
5x5 Overhead Press

Workout 2:
5x5 Bench
5x5 Squar
5x5 Barbell Row

Loved SL 5x5. Linear gains have ended for me some time ago though so I should probably look into finding an intermediate program at some point...

Monday: No food, lab day.
Tuesday: Shopping
Wednesday: Library all day, no food.
Thursday: Party
Friday: Party
Saturday: Throw up
Sunday: Sleep all day

Monday: No food, lab day.
Tuesday: Shopping
Wednesday: Library all day, no food.
Thursday: Party
Friday: Party
Saturday: Throw up
Sunday: Sleep all day

get help

Reactions: 2 users
Walking/ running. I'll start training for another triathlon soon too, which means running 3 days a week, biking 2, swimming 2, and weights on 2-3 of those days.

I have enough muscle. I'm not looking to get bigger just maintain muscle while I lose fat. So I lift heavy once a week, compound lifts that hit multiple muscle groups. Run 15 miles a week 2 easy runs during the week, 1 speed workout Friday afternoon, and one long run Saturday. I use running more for stress relief honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.