Preparing for scramble/post-match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devilwearsprada

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How feasible is it to find unfilled positions in family medicine in the midwest?
I have only 3 programs on my ROL and I am very worried.
I know there will be many spots all over the US but due to personal reasons I am restricted geographically to IL-WI-Michigan, and maybe other neighbouring states. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I know there will be many spots all over the US

Many spots? These "many spots" will drop very fast few hours into the scramble. Do not be miss lead by those "many spots".

Are you a US Medical graduate? If not, then be ready to be very flexable. The competition for those "namy spots" is severe.

How feasible is it to find unfilled positions in family medicine in the midwest?
I know there will be many spots all over the US but due to personal reasons I am restricted geographically to IL-WI-Michigan, and maybe other neighbouring states. :scared:

If years prior are any indication, there will likely be plenty of scramble spots available initially. However, being an FMG who is apparently (at least from other posts) attempting to use intern year as a stepping stone to PM&R, I wouldn't be surprised if you encountered some difficulty securing one. Shady, my friend. I would hate to be the one covering your calls when you decide to peace out after you land a PM&R spot 2nd year.

p.s. I hope your handle refers to the movie and not the band. They have got to be one of the worst bands on the entire planet, right up there next to ICP.

Members don't see this ad :)

You should be worried. Why did you list only three programs?

yeah - you're silly - why only 3 programs? if, you don't get those 3, by worst case scenario, you shoudl have at least given yourself of choosing the next best 3. now you're leaving it all to chance, and you may end up waaaaaaay away from IL-WI-MI.
oh boy.
but hopefully you're a star (not trying to be sarcastic).

yeah - you're silly - why only 3 programs? if, you don't get those 3, by worst case scenario, you shoudl have at least given yourself of choosing the next best 3. now you're leaving it all to chance, and you may end up waaaaaaay away from IL-WI-MI.
oh boy.

Maybe they only got 3 interviews? That would be the only logical reason I can think of. It was a tough interview season for FMG's this year

If years prior are any indication, there will likely be plenty of scramble spots available initially. However, being an FMG who is apparently (at least from other posts) attempting to use intern year as a stepping stone to PM&R, I wouldn't be surprised if you encountered some difficulty securing one. Shady, my friend. I would hate to be the one covering your calls when you decide to peace out after you land a PM&R spot 2nd year.

p.s. I hope your handle refers to the movie and not the band. They have got to be one of the worst bands on the entire planet, right up there next to ICP.

Whats wrong with that? I like primary care and I like PM&R but prelim spots are harder to get in my situation. Also I woudn't mind board-certification in FM with or whether or not I do another PM&R residency. Its my "personal" plan you see, and sorry it does not have to match yours!

oh boy.

Wow. Anonymity brings out the worst in people:D

Whats wrong with that? I like primary care and I like PM&R but prelim spots are harder to get in my situation. Also I woudn't mind board-certification in FM with or whether or not I do another PM&R residency. Its my "personal" plan you see, and sorry it does not have to match yours!

I hope I'm not being unclear. I have no issue with you starting and completing a family medicine residency regardless of whether or not you do PM&R after that. What I take issue with, and I imagine most here will as well, is intentionally using FM as a prelim year with the intent of leaving for a PM&R spot 2nd year. It's crappy not only for the program but even more importantly for your colleagues. My "personal" plan involves not misleading people into believing I'm dedicated to 3 years when I'm not. I think yours should too.

>>I am a recent graduate with no exposure to PM&R. I applied for preliminary
>>yr and primary care residency positions for 2008 residency match, but
>>ended up interviewing at places that don't have PM&R residencies.

>>I have a few months that I can use to strengthen my credentials to apply
>>for PM&R residency next year.

Devilwearsprada - this is what you wrote in a different thread. And the objections (Frijolera :)... and I think pretty much everyone who has read & commented on this thread has) are that

1.) you treat preliminary year and primary care residency (FM res) as interchangeable (clearly using your FM residency simply as a stepping stone)
2.) but MORE IMPORTANTLY... you state that you plan on strengthening your credentials for APPLICATION TO A PM&R Residency NEXT YEAR (not for "THE FUTURE" which you very well could have said)... which implies that you are PLANNING ON LEAVING YOUR FM RESIDENCY AFTER A SINGLE YEAR. And frankly - at the end of the day, that's just wrong on A LOT of levels. Being dishonest w. the program. Taking a spot from someone who really wants to be there (ie for more than a year!). And leaving your fellow residents high and dry.... to pick up the slack when you leave! Shady!:(

We could all be misreading this - and I hope that we are. But if this is your plan... you might want to give it another thought! :cool:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, in keeping with the name of the thread "Preparing for scramble/post-match" here are a couple useful links (I plan on using on Monday if I have to) that I wanted to share (in case ppl hadn't stumbled on them already) :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346520
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=371620

:luck: G'luck Mon Everyone (Oh, and Happy St Patty's) :luck: