Prereq Advice: General Psychology, Anatomy/Physiology or Neither

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canes2012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I could use some prereq advice. I have the opportunity to add another summer school class. My options are either Anatomy & Physiology 1 or General Psychology. I have a year of Sociology and a semester of Philosophy from undergrad, but I never took Psych. Or I could take the Anatomy class to pad my science GPA. As far as I have seen, none of the schools I'm interested in have a hardline requirement on either class. Also, these would be taken at a CC because the local 4 year college doesn't have night classes available this summer. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Neither will seem to have any significant impact, so I'd say neither. The psych section of the MCAT is fairly easy to prepare for independently, but if you learn better through a course over independent study, then go for the psych class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice! I'm leaning towards the psych. It'll save me some self-study on the MCAT since I don't have to start from scratch on that section.

A and P classes can sometimes be land mines and the psych might help you better prepare for the MCAT
Psychology would help with the MCAT, which if you learn best in class would be good. A&P would be good as some med schools want such in recommended courses, but I agree some profs consider it a weed out course in bio at some universities so check to see if it's that way. I don't think either would be a bad course to take in general.

Psychology because it's a required section on the MCAT and some med schools have it either as a specific pre req or it satisfies a broader pre req category.