Prerequisite changes for upcoming application cycle (c/o 2029)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
If you're a non-traditional or second-career applicant like me, you're likely sitting on a bunch of old coursework from undergrad wondering what the prerequisite expiration policies are like at the different vet schools. I'm posting this thread to share the information I have in one convenient spot.

The information below is for AVMA CoE accredited vet schools in the continental United States only and is up to date as of January 2024. Most of the information is sourced from the school websites, but a few are from conversations I've had with admissions counselors.

I did my best to post the source of the information provided below. I highly recommend e-mailing the admissions team for the vet school you're interested to confirm their policies. They're busy with the current admissions cycle so give them some time to write you back. Those I've reached out to have always written me back eventually.

I couldn't find policies for every school. If anyone has information on the schools with missing info, let me know and I'll update the OP. Same if you find any corrections.

Good luck you guys. It's never too late to give it a shot!

Institution
Older coursework expiration
Older coursework policySource
Auburn University
Colorado State
10 years​
Biochemistry, cell biology, genetics and systems physiology must be taken within the last 10 years. Other courses are recommended within 10 years.
Cornell University
None​
Science courses taken more than 10 years ago are acceptable, but not preferred.
Iowa State
8 years​
Required courses must be completed within the past 8 years.
Kansas State
6 years​
All required science courses must be taken within the last 6 years. Questions regarding exceptions may be directed to admissions.
Lincoln Memorial University
10 years​
Courses for all science prerequisites must have been completed within the last 10 years of application.
Long Island University
Louisiana State
10 years​
Prerequisites will be accepted for up to 10 years from the time of completion to DVM matriculation.
Michigan State
8 years​
Biology coursework expires after 8 years. If any ONE biology prerequisite is completed within the time limit, all other courses beyond the limit will be accepted.E-mail from admissions counselor
Midwestern University
Mississippi State
5 years​
The student must update their coursework by completing 6 semester hours of upper-level science or math course work within the previous 5 years.
North Carolina State
Ohio State
10 years​
Science prerequisites expire after 10 years. Letter and resume may be provided to admissions committee to prove mastery in the field and waive expiration.E-mail from admissions counselor
Oklahoma State
8 years​
Math and science based courses have to be taken within eight years of the year of application.
Oregon State
None​
No expiration date.
Purdue University
None​
Non-traditional applicants apply via VMCAS and are considered equally to all other applicants.
Texas A&M University
10 years​
Any required coursework taken more than 10 years ago will need to be retaken.
Texas Tech University
10 years​
Exceptions to the 10 year requirement may be considered on a case by case basis based on a holistic review of other coursework or experiences by the Admissions Committee.
Tufts University
Tuskegee University
6 years​
Only science courses completed within six (6) academic years of the date of application will be considered.
University of Arizona
University of California Davis
None​
No expiration date.
University of Florida
University of Georgia
10 years​
All required science courses must be taken within the last 10 years.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
None​
Applicants who completed a BS/BA degree 6 years or more prior to matriculation for DVM studies at Illinois may petition to have all course work related to the BS/BA studies ignored in the admission decision process.
University of Minnesota
10 years​
All math and science prerequisite courses must be recent within 10 years of the application deadline.
University of Missouri
University of Pennsylvania
University of Tennessee
University of Wisconsin
Virginia-Maryland
5 years​
Must show at least one current science course OR work experience in the biological or physical sciences, clinical investigation or working as a licensed healthcare provider
Washington State
Western University of Health Sciences
None​
No expiration date.E-mail from admissions counselor

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi!
I wanted to start a thread with information on which schools are changing their prerequisite requirements for the upcoming application cycle (VMCAS 2024-2025).
For example VMCVM will require 24-30 credits for science competencies. Meaning you will get to choose the sciences they look at. So for those of us who let’s say struggle with physics, that no longer is a requirement and upper level sciences can be used.
I hope this makes sense!
Hopefully we can all share new updated prerequisite requirements here for those of us applying for the first time or having to reapply.
Thank you!!

Reactions: 2 users