presentation ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chitown82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, i have to give a presentation to my residents/attendings in a few weeks and i was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for an idea. the talk should be unique (not the bread and butter stuff like management of the trauma pt, cholelithiasis, etc) and contribute to knowledge base of the residents. im having some difficult in coming up with good ideas. any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

hey, i have to give a presentation to my residents/attendings in a few weeks and i was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for an idea. the talk should be unique (not the bread and butter stuff like management of the trauma pt, cholelithiasis, etc) and contribute to knowledge base of the residents. im having some difficult in coming up with good ideas. any thoughts?

I wouldn't focus too much on contributing to the knowledge base of the residents. I think that they'll be able to appreciate your hard work regardless. I think the most important thing is that whatever topic you pick, don't just summarize the Up To Date article, but know it backwards and forwards, and integrate some recent literature.

That being said, you can always pick a topic where some grey area exists and go over current recommendations, e.g.

Need for perioperative antibiotics and length of treatment
Thromboembolic prophylaxis
Perioperative beta blockade
Lap vs. Open inguinal hernia/ventral hernia/appendix

Or find a topic that we all know a decent amount about, but could always use a refresher:

Heparin Induced Thrombocytopenia I and II
Workup of a thyroid nodule
Preop and periop management of pheochromocytoma
GISTs

Or even better, pick up the most recent surgical journals, read them, find a topic you like, and expand.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are a few topics off the topic of my head, arranged by general topic area:

Endocrine:
Workup of adrenal nodules/incidentalomas
Parathyroid surgery with an emphasis on localization studies/minimally invasive techniques

Oncology:
Oncoplastic surgery for breast cancer
Role of adjuvant therapy/neoadjuvant therapy in gastric and especially gastroesophageal junction tumors (find the MAGIC trial and discuss it)
Steatohepatitis/liver function effects from neoadjuvant chemotherapy for liver metastases and their impact of morbidity/mortality for liver resection
Role of resection for melanoma metastases
Sentinel node mapping in GI tumors (colon, gastric)
How many lymph nodes should be resected in colon cancer, does it make a difference?
Role of octreotride prophylaxis to prevent pancreatic fistula after pancreatic surgery (esp. Whipple)

General Mgmt issues:
DVT prophylaxis
Role of bowel prep for elective colon surgery (a particularly interesting one if you ask me)
Early feeding schedules after bowel surgery

Bariatrics:
Role of Bariatric Surgery as a cure for type II diabetes

Txp:
Use of extended donor criteria kidneys: long term outcomes, indications for

Trauma/Critical Care
Hypertonic saline resuscitation
Hypothermia: therapeutic uses in code type situations

General surgery:
What inguinal hernias have to be fixed? (think about age/co-morbidity/etc.)

I always find it easier to find an interesting patient on your service and then present the patient and then review the topic.

Best to pick a narrow topic so that you can know it well rather than a very broad topic where you will be overwhelmed.

Also a good idea to have your topic approved ahead of time to make sure it's acceptable.

Goodluck

I have a personal interest in the use of hyperbaric oxygen and wound healing following radiation therapy. This is especially salient if your hospital has a dive chamber. On second thought, ss this even an issue in general surgery? I know we have issues with this a fair amount for Head and Neck stuff... Oh well...

Just figured this might be a topic that not everyone knows too much about and you could read some of the Marx articles on the topic and be a stud. Good luck either way.

I have a personal interest in the use of hyperbaric oxygen and wound healing following radiation therapy. This is especially salient if your hospital has a dive chamber. On second thought, ss this even an issue in general surgery? I know we have issues with this a fair amount for Head and Neck stuff... Oh well..

Not necessarily after radiation (although we do see that), but more often for the trauma patient with a poorly healing wound.