Previous IA and Judicial Committee

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

Tawantinsuyu

With an IA on my record, would it be weird to adcomms if I served on the judicial committee later?

Members don't see this ad.

@Goro out of curiosity how much does an underage alcohol IA damage an applicant? Most schools seem to tolerate drinking but a few very conservative ones I hear about will really go the whole nine yards over a 20 year old getting caught with a six pack multiple times.

Members don't see this ad :)
The key phrase in your question is "multiple times".

We have a profound distaste for people who fail to learn their lessons.

Luckily, time does manage to heal wounds, especially after a prolonged period of exemplary behavior, with evidence of responsibility.

@Goro out of curiosity how much does an underage alcohol IA damage an applicant? Most schools seem to tolerate drinking but a few very conservative ones I hear about will really go the whole nine yards over a 20 year old getting caught with a six pack multiple times.

Goro speaks wisdom.

But too bad even he can't elevate my number of DO IIs above one...

But like he used to say: "patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not".

Reactions: 1 user
Goro speaks wisdom.

But too bad even he can't elevate my number of DO IIs above one...

But like he used to say: "patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not".

Why do you have one II? Do you have some kind of IA on your record?

Why do you have one II? Do you have some kind of IA on your record?

Yeah I do. A very minor one, however.

EDIT: I really don't think that my IA is preventing me from getting more IIs. It's rough out here...

@Goro

Last edited:
The key phrase in your question is "multiple times".

We have a profound distaste for people who fail to learn their lessons.

Luckily, time does manage to heal wounds, especially after a prolonged period of exemplary behavior, with evidence of responsibility.

Interesting, so what worries adcoms isn't the behavior itself since I'm sure they know even most high schoolers drink, but rather the clear lack of respect for the rules the student agreed to live under? That makes a lot more sense.

Yeah I do. A very minor one, however.

EDIT: I really don't think that my IA is preventing me from getting more IIs. It's rough out here...

@Goro

What's a minor IA, is that for like cheating on something not very important

Interesting, so what worries adcoms isn't the behavior itself since I'm sure they know even most high schoolers drink, but rather the clear lack of respect for the rules the student agreed to live under? That makes a lot more sense.

What's a minor IA, is that for like cheating on something not very important

Haha no!

Cheating, no matter how "minor", is a serious infraction. My IA is along the lines of noise/dorm violations. But it doesn't involve alcohol or drugs.

Really? I always figured something like disseminating the answers to a midterm would be approx 10^8 times worse than, say, having a very strict professor catch you peeking at an equation sheet on a quiz. At my school, pretty sure the first time getting caught is punished by a 0 on whatever you were cheating on, so certain things are a lot more minor.

Hah! You were that guy blasting music until 3am every night weren't you xD

Really? I always figured something like disseminating the answers to a midterm would be approx 10^8 times worse than, say, having a very strict professor catch you peeking at an equation sheet on a quiz. At my school, pretty sure the first time getting caught is punished by a 0 on whatever you were cheating on, so certain things are a lot more minor.

I definitely agree that there are different degrees of academic dishonesty/cheating violations. But as a rule, any issues related to academic integrity tend to be a lot more serious than just about everything else that college students tend to get involved with.

Correct. We were young and stupid once too. We do believe in redemption, as well. But we have little tolerance for people who should know better (like get a DUI when they're a 22 year old senior in college, or get multiple DUIs). I'm a little harsher, because drunk drivers can kill families like mine.

Interesting, so what worries Adcoms isn't the behavior itself since I'm sure they know even most high schoolers drink, but rather the clear lack of respect for the rules the student agreed to live under? That makes a lot more sense.

100% correct, Sean. There is ample evidence that dishonest doctors start out as dishonest students, and so we simply don't tolerate it. We take professionalism very seriously. Crimes against persons are also treated vastly more serious as infractions than crimes against property as well.
I definitely agree that there are different degrees of academic dishonesty/cheating violations. But as a rule, any issues related to academic integrity tend to be a lot more serious than just about everything else that college students tend to get involved with.

To me, that's pretty serious. That is deliberate cheating on the part of the student. Relatively "minor" academic integrity violations would be things like genuine accidental plagiarism because the student is sloppy with citation conventions.

Good points, the character of someone intentionally cheating probably is just as apparent regardless of what they were cheating on. Considering how competitive MD schools are, I wonder how many people have been rejected due to even minor IAs because there are so many similar applicants without them.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, I'm reopening this thread and was wondering what would disciplinary warning be considered? Back story of the situation... I was caught in the presence of alcohol (in a room with open containers and people drinking) and met with the RD of the building who sanctioned me with disciplinary warning, where it was a period that if I was involved in another disciplinary situation, I would have been placed on disciplinary probation and have privileges restricted. Anyway after 6 months the whole thing was nearly forgotten until a friend of mine told me about her similar situation (also placed on disciplinary warning) and said that these incidents (even if they were just a warning) are reported to the medical schools you apply to. I also discovered this when I was working in the Residential Education Office this past summer and noticed that all disciplinary records were on file in the Office of the Deans of Student Life. What annoys me the most about this is that I was told repeatedly by the RD that these incidents are solely reported within the Res Ed department and that only situations, such as disciplinary probation, would be seen on one's record. Where I'm getting at is how would I go about reporting this if ask if I have ever been placed on any disciplinary or academic probation. Technically it's not either, however I'm not too sure how medical schools would view this if I answers those questions with No, only for them to later see that an incident was filed against me. Sorry for the neuroticism and paranoia, but forgive me! After all, I am pre-med!

You get a box to explain stuff like this. It's quite minor.

Hey all, I'm reopening this thread and was wondering what would disciplinary warning be considered? Back story of the situation... I was caught in the presence of alcohol (in a room with open containers and people drinking) and met with the RD of the building who sanctioned me with disciplinary warning, where it was a period that if I was involved in another disciplinary situation, I would have been placed on disciplinary probation and have privileges restricted. Anyway after 6 months the whole thing was nearly forgotten until a friend of mine told me about her similar situation (also placed on disciplinary warning) and said that these incidents (even if they were just a warning) are reported to the medical schools you apply to. I also discovered this when I was working in the Residential Education Office this past summer and noticed that all disciplinary records were on file in the Office of the Deans of Student Life. What annoys me the most about this is that I was told repeatedly by the RD that these incidents are solely reported within the Res Ed department and that only situations, such as disciplinary probation, would be seen on one's record. Where I'm getting at is how would I go about reporting this if ask if I have ever been placed on any disciplinary or academic probation. Technically it's not either, however I'm not too sure how medical schools would view this if I answers those questions with No, only for them to later see that an incident was filed against me. Sorry for the neuroticism and paranoia, but forgive me! After all, I am pre-med!