private group versus hospital employee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kat82

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all- pardon my ignorance but can someone go into the pros and cons of working as a hospital employee versus for a private group?

I've only ever worked as a hospital employee. It's very simple. I'm paid an annual salary. I don't have to deal with things like RVUs. I have great benefits. I know nothing about the benefits or drawbacks of working for a private group. If someone could go into this for me, I would appreciate it

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all- pardon my ignorance but can someone go into the pros and cons of working as a hospital employee versus for a private group?

I've only ever worked as a hospital employee. It's very simple. I'm paid an annual salary. I don't have to deal with things like RVUs. I have great benefits. I know nothing about the benefits or drawbacks of working for a private group. If someone could go into this for me, I would appreciate it

Thanks!

Benefit: You get paid more. Remember an employee can never be paid what he is worth (at least long term), otherwise there would be no profit left for the employer.

Drawback: You have to deal with things like RVUs and you get to pay for (and decide on) your own benefits.

Benefit: You get paid more. Remember an employee can never be paid what he is worth (at least long term), otherwise there would be no profit left for the employer.

Drawback: You have to deal with things like RVUs and you get to pay for (and decide on) your own benefits.
Is this (paying for your own benefits) only the case for an independent contractor or the same if you work for a group (for example, EMA, EMP, etc)

Is this (paying for your own benefits) only the case for an independent contractor or the same if you work for a group (for example, EMA, EMP, etc)

I get every dollar I earn. I then pay for my benefits. I "work for a group" but I'm also an owner of said group. I don't know exactly how EMA and EMP are structured. If you own the business, you get the profits. If you don't, then someone else gets them. It's as simple as that.