Private medical schools vs. state schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueDoc1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if going to a state school, like Robert Wood Johnson would be worse then going to a private school like Dartmouth. I know that there is a big differance in ranking, but does this differance really matter when applying for residency or is it mostly about board scores, recomedations etc. There's also a big differance in tuition.

Members don't see this ad.

TrueDoc1 said:
I would like to know if going to a state school, like Robert Wood Johnson would be worse then going to a private school like Dartmouth. I know that there is a big differance in ranking, but does this differance really matter when applying for residency or is it mostly about board scores, recomedations etc. There's also a big differance in tuition.
You haven't even been accepted, right? Apply to both. State schools are fine, even lowly RWJ ;)

i'm not sure what difference in ranking you are referring to. I assure you that the residency PD doesnt have a US News guide pinned up on his wall when determining applicants.

I mean, if the student from State School if superior to the student from Private School, what do you think? I firmly believe it's not about the school; it's about the student. Focus on getting into a residency based on merit, not by hiding behind a reputable school name.