Problem needs solution: How to get research experience AND work full time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a student who wants to apply next year and has no research experience. He wants research experience, but must work full time to pay the bills (and to keep benefits like health insurance). This is Boston and there is a lot of competition for research positions. Do you have any advice for him?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no rapid solution to this. Suggest while still working, take a lab course so student can at least learn his/her way around a lab, and God willing, learn to use a micropipettor.

Then, take another lab course to learn a technique. HPLC, or molecular biology.

Someone who can say "I can make solutions, I can pipette, I can pour and run gels, I can ligate, I know how to pH things" is in a much better situation than someone with no skills.

I have a dear friend who got her PhD by starting out as a part-time glassware washer/autoclaver. She used that to jump to a lab tech positon, which led to grad school.

I have a student who wants to apply next year and has no research experience. He wants research experience, but must work full time to pay the bills (and to keep benefits like health insurance). This is Boston and there is a lot of competition for research positions. Do you have any advice for him?

Clinical research in the ED? Social science/public health research that could be an independent project?

Not all research has to be bench research. These are more flexible options.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is no rapid solution to this. Suggest while still working, take a lab course so student can at least learn his/her way around a lab, and God willing, learn to use a micropipettor.

Then, take another lab course to learn a technique. HPLC, or molecular biology.

Someone who can say "I can make solutions, I can pipette, I can pour and run gels, I can ligate, I know how to pH things" is in a much better situation than someone with no skills.

I have a dear friend who got her PhD by starting out as a part-time glassware washer/autoclaver. She used that to jump to a lab tech positon, which led to grad school.

Student already has years of experience working and studying in a lab as a lab technician and pre-med. Problem is that research experience is wanted.

Clinical research in the ED? Social science/public health research that could be an independent project?

Not all research has to be bench research. These are more flexible options.

ED is an excellent idea.

Not helpful when you don't mention this in your OP.
Research is not such an important thing to have for a non-trade.

For a wet lab doing research, I can't think of anything amenable to someone working full time.

Student already has years of experience working and studying in a lab as a lab technician.

Not helpful when you don't mention this in your OP.
Research is not such an important thing to have for a non-trade.

For a wet lab doing research, I can't think of anything amenable to someone working full time.

There are quite a few of these positions open in boston... I.e. research jobs where just having lab tech experience is good. You might not get your own projects in the first year, but if you stick around for 2 years and do good work, express interest, make an effort to understand the field etc, you could get on a paper or such.

Reactions: 1 user