Problem with my current study! Pharmacy vs chem vs physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kheldd

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm 21 years old and currently starting my second year as pharmacy student. My problem is that while I liked my first year and all, I still can't decide if this is right for me.

For first I'm not interested in working retail at all and there is no way to skip 6 months training in retail. This takes couple study periods for "nothing" in two next years. I chose pharmacy because of pharmaceutical/medicinal chemistry and that is what I like. In the other hand I hate all those social pharmacy courses etc.

I work as research assistant in medicinal chem lab at university this summer and I like it. Didn't have any experience in real org chem lab but know I feel comfortable already and it's fun. I have to brag that I will have my name in two med chem publications!

Now for things I have thought. I know already that I want to do research in some field and probably do PhD at some point and medicinal chemistry would probably be most suitable for me. Still I have this feeling that I maaaybe would want to study theoretical physics or at least change to chemistry. I'm very interested in cosmology etc and I would get in after next year if I wanted.

I'm taking some physics courses next year to check it out if that would make it clearer.

I'm just wondering that if I choose physics for my bachelor and master and take org. chem with some interesting pharmacy courses as side study would that block my possible career as med chem if I choose so? (I think that if I change my main degree I'll get my old org chem/pharm courses approved for it too so I don't lost anything). It is probably more limiting if I choose pharmacy as it is so tightly guided which courses you take and destined mainly for retail (with mandatory training periods)?

I'm just little lost because my dream has been being researcher in astronomy/cosmology for a long time but I chose pharmacy for better employment and because organic chemistry is my second favourite.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

I'm 21 years old and currently starting my second year as pharmacy student. My problem is that while I liked my first year and all, I still can't decide if this is right for me.

For first I'm not interested in working retail at all and there is no way to skip 6 months training in retail. This takes couple study periods for "nothing" in two next years. I chose pharmacy because of pharmaceutical/medicinal chemistry and that is what I like. In the other hand I hate all those social pharmacy courses etc.

I'm just little lost because my dream has been being researcher in astronomy/cosmology for a long time but I chose pharmacy for better employment and because organic chemistry is my second favourite.

~70% of all pharmacists work in a retail setting. In an already competitive market with increasing saturation, you are extremely limiting yourself if you can't/won't consider working retail. Just based on that alone, you should get out now and pursue another path. If your dream is to become a researcher in astronomy/cosmology, then look into that. Or pursue a field with better job prospects.