Program calls and asks me to reschedule interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sella turcica

cerebrogenesis imperfecta
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A psych program I scheduled an interview with over a month ago called me today to ask if I'd be willing to reschedule my interview. The caller stated that they were trying to make their schedule work better, or something along those lines. I told the truth, which was that I already paid for a plane ticket to that location, and the caller said it wasn't a problem and I didn't need to reschedule.

What I want to know is, is this a regular kind of thing? Or should this be a red flag that the program is disorganized? I know as applicants we are allowed to rearrange interviews, so it got me wondering.

Members don't see this ad.

A psych program I scheduled an interview with over a month ago called me today to ask if I'd be willing to reschedule my interview. The caller stated that they were trying to make their schedule work better, or something along those lines. I told the truth, which was that I already paid for a plane ticket to that location, and the caller said it wasn't a problem and I didn't need to reschedule.

What I want to know is, is this a regular kind of thing? Or should this be a red flag that the program is disorganized? I know as applicants we are allowed to rearrange interviews, so it got me wondering.

It would have been more of a red flag if they hadn't responded as easily (and normally) to your justification for not rescheduling. It sounds like they're OK with it, so don't worry about it.

Look everybody--try to tune down the paranoia. Programs are run by human beings, most of your interviewers are VOLUNTEERING their time to talk to you in an already crammed-full day, the program coordinators are indeed NEAR super-human, but sometimes may need to make adjustments for their mistake-prone and over-committed PDs... And at the end of the day we just want to find a half-dozen or so people who are pleasant to work with and who will show up to things on time...