Programs in Africa for Pre-veterinary students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreVetGator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in going to Africa and was hoping to go on a program that worked with both the wildlife and the local animals in a veterinary setting. I've seen a lot of these online but I don't know how reputable they are. Has anyone had any good experiences with specific programs?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

If you've got a fair amount of time to spare, maybe check with APOPO? They're a Dutch organization in Tanzania that train giant pouched rats to detect mines and TB. Very cool stuff. And I believe they get their vet care from the nearby Sokoine University. Good luck.

I know my classmates from undergrad did a program with safari4u and vets in the wild expedition with Ecolife. They talked about their experiences during our prevet club meetings and it sounded like they got to do some pretty cool things.

There are lots of different ones you can find just by Googling animal care volunteering or animal care internships, but I'd do some research into voluntourism and what it is or what it means to the cultures affected. There are plenty of unique experiences that aren't so much a pay to do it event. Plenty of people will go ahead and do it any way, it's really a personal choice. The rat one sounds super interesting and as a research project, is far less likely to be disadvantageous to the local populations. I was also looking at a neat one that would cost you only airfare and you'd assist with Galápagos turtle conservation and research. Not in Africa obviously but still neat.

I'm not trying to sound super negative or judgemental, just trying to encourage more research. Africa is neat and if your heart is set on Africa, do it! I know better than anyone that when your heart is set on going somewhere that nothing will change your mind. But there are plenty of opportunities outside of Africa with less ugly programs.