USMLE Prometric Step 1 Practice Exam--Need Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedGrl@2022

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does Prometric give you a breakdown per category/subject of what I got right or wrong, similar to NMBE? Like I got 90% of the Microbiology questions right? Or do they just provide you an overall percentage? Do they tell you what questions you got right and wrong? It says online that it is the same exam as the free one that USMLE provides on their website: http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/step-1/2017samples_step1.pdf Since those provide the answers, should I just do the first block to get the feel of the exam and then leave? I don't want to waste a day of studying if I can't get real feedback on my performance.

What is everyone else's experience???

Members don't see this ad.

Just a percentage at the end with breakdown of the 3 blocks. Same questions as the pdf except 3 multimedia questions. The prometric practise is useful as a dress rehearsal. Good to time your breaks, see how noisy it is, getting there on time, temperature of the centre, etc. I found it very useful. I did the 3 blocks and looked up the answers on the pdf on my way home. You only waste time going to the centre and back but if you're being driven you can even study in the car.

Reactions: 1 users
Just a percentage at the end with breakdown of the 3 blocks. Same questions as the pdf except 3 multimedia questions. The prometric practise is useful as a dress rehearsal. Good to time your breaks, see how noisy it is, getting there on time, temperature of the centre, etc. I found it very useful. I did the 3 blocks and looked up the answers on the pdf on my way home. You only waste time going to the centre and back but if you're being driven you can even study in the car.

Thank you for your advice! :)

Does Prometric give you a breakdown per category/subject of what I got right or wrong, similar to NMBE? Like I got 90% of the Microbiology questions right? Or do they just provide you an overall percentage? Do they tell you what questions you got right and wrong? It says online that it is the same exam as the free one that USMLE provides on their website: http://www.usmle.org/pdfs/step-1/2017samples_step1.pdf Since those provide the answers, should I just do the first block to get the feel of the exam and then leave? I don't want to waste a day of studying if I can't get real feedback on my performance.

What is everyone else's experience???

I was going to take the Prometeic challenge but decided to tackle the Prometric anxiety. I planned ahead before my Step 1 Exam to map my route from home to the test center. I used two different routes to the test center, timed them, and noted the traffic, reflected on possible scenarios to allow for accidents on the route, time it would take to get around them, etc. I entered the test center, introduced myself to the staff, asked for a tour, and became acquainted with the center, including the mini refrigerator, eating area, and bathrooms. I must have spent 30 mins there just sniffing things out, even checking the headphones and lockers. The staff was super friendly

By the time my exam came, I was completely calm, the staff remembered me, I packed a huge lunch box, and overall enjoyed my experience. Just a thought to ward off the negative energy.