Pros and Cons of entering Med School (MD) vs DO, Dental School and PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTA98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I'm currently a first-semester freshman, and majoring in health sciences. I wasn't really sure where to put this topic, so I figured this might be a good place. I've been looking up different ways to apply my major in some form post-bachelor's education, and 4 different pathways caught me.

The first, and original goal, was to apply to MD school, and if my MCAT/GPA weren't satisfactory enough to enter many medical schools, then try to enter DO school.

The second option was to perhaps enter PA school-I wasn't a fan of high school physics, and heard that Physics wasn't necessary for PA school. PA school is overall, cheaper, yet I've heard that PA's can be the "scum of the "medical world,"" in comparison to MDs.

The third option was to become a Dentist. I haven't honestly looked into becoming a dentist that much, but I have heard that their hours are a bit more flexible than those of a MD/DO.

My biggest concerns are that
1) I get to stick with what I LOVE.
2) I don't get extremely burnt out before entering the workforce.
3) The easiness of securing a job after, so that I can start working on student loans ASAP, and I've also heard with the rise of PAs, there's more competition.
4) Lots of people I know want to become PAs now, instead of MD/DOs. Does this mean PA school is becoming more competitive, and MD School slots are STILL competitive, yet would there may be more openings?
5) Financial stability by around age 30.. Unfortunately, that does really start to be the biggest con of medical school, where I won't be in the positive for quite some time.
6) A balanced work-personal life schedule. Of course, balancing time and work is important for everyone, but I've observed/heard that dentist's work schedule isn't as demanding as that of a MD/DO. This isn't to say that dentists don't work for squat (They obviously do.) I've also read in an article recently that says that the Millennials that are entering the MD/DO work force are also in favor of a balanced work-personal life schedule, and as the older baby-boomer MDs/DOs are retiring, Gen X's and Millennials are going to be the ones left, and that of course, the companies (should, theoretically..) be willing to negotiate some terms with those that do desire a balanced schedule.

Anyways, any advice/help/replies would be appreciated. Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You have three years to learn about these fields and make a decision at the start of your senior year (or even after graduation)

In the meantime: get good grades and get involved with community outreach/research/ clinical experiences.

Most importantly, have fun in college.

Reactions: 1 users
Go and shadow each of those career paths then do some soul searching.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Look into podiatry too. It's sooooo much cooler than most people think.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile