Prosection Team

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drthedude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am a current OMS-1 and was wondering if I should do prosection team in the summer or not. To give some context on prosection: 10 students are chosen to prosect bodies for the OMS-1 class to use and view for lab material in case their dissections do not turn out well. It seems like a nice prestigious thing and also fun! I don't want to stay for the summer and would truly rather be on "break" but also know that prosection is a great opportunity. What would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

A few things to consider. A) Is it paid? Performing a good prosection takes hours of work. You should be paid for your time. B) If you’re going to do “school” things during the summer, is there anything more meaningful you could do? Do you know which specialty interests you or should you shadow some specialties that you won’t have a core rotation for? Like it or not, most competitive programs within any specialty like to see you engaged with research and have publications/presentations. Could there be projects that would get you closer to that goal and make your application for residency stronger? These are things I would ask myself.

Last edited:
**** no. Even for the measly coins they may toss to you, your sanity break after M1 is needed

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is not prestigious, nor will it likely be useful for your residency application. It may help solidify your understanding of anatomy, which may be useful for you on certain clinical rotations. And fundamentally if you enjoy it then that is reason enough in and of itself.

Basically, do it if you want to and if you are not planning on applying for anything competitive where you would be expected to be doing something more productive and specialty-specific.

if its just for the summer and you're really bored it could be a good opportunity. As long as the hours aren't crazy.

Be careful about signing up for this opportunity as you may have to continue to provide assistance to MS1 when your classes start back up. I know the anatomy team at my school had to juggle 2nd year classes, TA for anatomy class and somehow start preparing for boards. Seems hectic.

Absolutely not. Use your summer to reset your burnout or do research

Don’t listen to what GoSpursGo or NotAProgDirector have to say, they’re just wicked jealous they weren’t invited to be apart of a prestigious extracurricular activity, such as yourself! Other possible things that could be viewed as equally prestigious on your CV in no particular order;

- eating paint chips
- owing your own business (ie selling meth at your local truck stop)
- omm research
- volunteering at the local pet shelter, euthanizing puppies that aren’t adopted
- playing pickleball with an old person
- doing research that requires your classmates to fill out a survey….

Honestly, not much else I can think of when you set the bar at “being apart of the prosecution team” high…

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Don’t listen to what GoSpursGo or NotAProgDirector have to say, they’re just wicked jealous they weren’t invited to be apart of a prestigious extracurricular activity, such as yourself! Other possible things that could be viewed as equally prestigious on your CV in no particular order;

- eating paint chips
- owing your own business (ie selling meth at your local truck stop)
- omm research
- volunteering at the local pet shelter, euthanizing puppies that aren’t adopted
- playing pickleball with an old person
- doing research that requires your classmates to fill out a survey….

Honestly, not much else I can think of when you set the bar at “being apart of the prosecution team” high…
My division chief loves pickle ball. And he’s old. That actually could be worthwhile if you choose the right partner. Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user