Protocol: Now that you've matched, what next??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

res-2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After we know that we matched and where, do we contact the program and express our gratitude or pleasure at matching?

I know the program will contact us at some point, but do we say thanks???

Members don't see this ad.

After we know that we matched and where, do we contact the program and express our gratitude or pleasure at matching?

I know the program will contact us at some point, but do we say thanks???

Go to Disneyland!!!

Most programs will contact you - either by phone or letter to say congrats, you'll be receiving info about orientation, etc.

However, it is not wrong for you to call if you like.

yep dont worry they will find you!

Forgot to mention - this is not like a hot date. They will not call or email or write you the next day.

The efficiency of the administrative staff is highly variable but if look at posts from last year regarding this topic, some didn't hear for weeks or more than a month. So don't worry - they will contact you, but it may not be for awhile.

I will never fully appreciate the level of anxiety experienced by so many of us leading to Match. It seems every little possible scenario is scrutinized. Is there just one more thing we can obsess over?

I will never fully appreciate the level of anxiety experienced by so many of us leading to Match. It seems every little possible scenario is scrutinized. Is there just one more thing we can obsess over?

so like...this PD responded to my letter expressing interest in his program and I reeeeaaallllly want to go there. He sounded very positive and said I was ranked to match for sure and "he'll see me in june" but he used very poor grammar and he didn't sign it "sincerely". What does this mean? Does it mean he's not sincere? If he didn't put in the time to use proper grammar in an email to me how serious could he be about wanting me there? Has anyone gotten into a program where the response to thier letter of interest was not signed "sincerely" and where poor grammar was used? Im FREAKING THE F*CK OUT OVER HERE, IVE RIPPED THE HAIR OUT OF MY HEAD AND KILLED MY CAT FOR MEOWING TOO LOUDLY. Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks:love:

hey hey hey

Why bother yourself with these post if you think something's wrong with them or the OP?

Some of us have no one to help us avoid the pit falls, while some of you have a "residency office" to help guide you with recommended do and don'ts, personal statements, interview prep and god forbid if you don't match, the dean to make calls for you.

So, what's the big deal if we ask questions that you've already been forced fed the answers to?

hey hey hey

Why bother yourself with these post if you think something's wrong with them or the OP?

Some of us have no one to help us avoid the pit falls, while some of you have a "residency office" to help guide you with recommended do and don'ts, personal statements, interview prep and god forbid if you don't match, the dean to make calls for you.

So, what's the big deal if we ask questions that you've already been forced fed the answers to?

They're just having a little fun, especially seeing others nervous about the same things they are. Try to roll with it...

..... Has anyone gotten into a program where the response to thier letter of interest was not signed "sincerely" and where poor grammar was used? Im FREAKING THE F*CK OUT OVER HERE, IVE RIPPED THE HAIR OUT OF MY HEAD AND KILLED MY CAT FOR MEOWING TOO LOUDLY. Any responses would be appreciated. Thanks:love:

:laugh: That was great!

Go to Disneyland!!!

Most programs will contact you - either by phone or letter to say congrats, you'll be receiving info about orientation, etc.

However, it is not wrong for you to call if you like.

Why are so many career oriented women obsessed with Disneyland...:rolleyes: Can't we just go to something like a 10 week vacation in Vegas?

hey hey hey

Part and parcel with posting on SDN is the sincere possibility that someone will take your thread a step further once your question has been answered. It's really nothing personal. You had a straight-forward question, it was promptly answered, now the goblins get to ruin your thread for entertainment. You had the luxury of a Mod sensitive to your feelings on this one. Cherish that. It may not happen again.

It's quite funny, actually. We're all stressed about matching, now you've come along and extended the stress to the days following The Match.

Please make sure that your new coordinator can reach you. You will be sent a lot of emails and likely a great deal of snail mail that will require your IMMEDIATE attention prior to orientation. The program should contact you very soon post match.

In addition, any implication that you "will match" or are "in a matchable range" and the like are clear violations of the match and you as an applicant should NEVER count on any side deals from the PD or other Administration of the program. Generally speaking, the PD may have a general letter that goes out and is sent by a member of the staff. As this is a busy time of year, I would consider the grammar issue a minor faux pas... but if this seems to be the norm there - I would be a little concerned.

Best of luck to you.