proving i want it!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlhanze

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok. Dentistry was introduced to me in 10 grade when I shadowed a dentist for a school project and ever since then I have always thought about being a dentist. Now I know that this is the field for me, absolutely positive.
As I am filling out my application, I find myself having dificulty filling in my dental experience. I have not really shadowed consistently with anyone. Two dentists for not very long periods of time. I did a research internship thing back in my senior year of high school. But i still feel like its not enough to prove to the schools that dentistry is for me.
How do I express my passion for this career path without having any real evidence to back me up?

thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

you "prove" your passion for dentistry by telling them what it is about the field that you're passionate about. If you have well thought out reasons, then adcoms will know that you have had the experience, have thought things out, and are prepared for a career in the field.

Make your personal statement a reflection of your passion for dentistry. Not only shadowing is a mere representation of your interest in the field ... :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Uracil said:
Make your personal statement a reflection of your passion for dentistry. Not only shadowing is a mere representation of your interest in the field ... :thumbup:

I agree about the personal statement, but shadowing serves a very real purpose: it's direct observation of the day-to-day realities of dentistry and the adcom's desire in having applicants having some shadowing under their belt is to help ensure that he/she has understands the commitment that will be undertaken and just what he/she is getting into. To the OP: if you are worried about not having enough shadowing, go ahead and get some in, regardless of when you submit your application. I would not only shadow a dentist but some specialits as well so as to give you a more comprehensive view of the dental profession. Best of luck!

Sprgrover said:
I agree about the personal statement, but shadowing serves a very real purpose: it's direct observation of the day-to-day realities of dentistry and the adcom's desire in having applicants having some shadowing under their belt is to help ensure that he/she has understands the commitment that will be undertaken and just what he/she is getting into. To the OP: if you are worried about not having enough shadowing, go ahead and get some in, regardless of when you submit your application. I would not only shadow a dentist but some specialits as well so as to give you a more comprehensive view of the dental profession. Best of luck!

Plus, even if your shadow hours don't get down on your app., you can always talk about your more recent experiences in your interviews. You'll do fine.