PSAT compared to SAT

EchoMed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some of the major differences? I took the PSAT today and it was a breeze. Thanks.
(Besides the writing portion)

Members don't see this ad.

I don't recall there being any major differences between the two other than length. Then again, I didn't give a crap about the SAT, much less the PSAT. I also took the PSAT 8 years ago, so my advice is pretty dated. I understand they've totally revamped the English portion.

I took the PSAT last year and the SAT this year. The content areas are pretty similar, the SAT just gives you harder questions. I didn't study for the test much between the PSAT and the SAT and got in the 98th percentile for the PSAT and about the 85th percentile for the SAT--so for me the real thing was definitely harder. Also, I had extra time on the PSAT, even after checking my work, and on the SAT I didn't even finish the some sections. So, just longer test, and maybe fewer/ shorter breaks, but if the PSAT was effortless you should be fine on the real thing.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people have issues with mental fatigue on standardized tests. Make sure you rest up and eat well to minimize the difference between your PSAT and SAT.

Thanks a lot. =)

So basically if the PSAT was effortless I should do fine on the SAT? You can't really study for the SAT can you?...

Thanks a lot. =)

So basically if the PSAT was effortless I should do fine on the SAT? You can't really study for the SAT can you?...

Yes you can, buy SAT prep books and time yourself using practice tests. I took the PSAT yesterday (no prep) and I think I did pretty good, not FANTASTIC though. I really didn't give a **** either, nobody does, yet everyone and their brother takes it.

I didn't know people studied for the SAT until I saw one of my friends doing so during my senior year of high school. I believe I made fun of him for it. Oops. :rolleyes: I personally took the SAT drunk and with 2 hours of sleep, so...uh...do as I say, not as I do.

I took the PSAT last year and this year, and I think this year's was easier..ah oh well. I think I did really well though! Easier than the SAT I took a couple weeks ago.

The SATs may seem like a harder test than the PSATs only because there's more pressure to do better. Schools look closely at your SAT scores moreso than PSATs. I always saw the PSATs as a test that only got you better scholarships :/ But honestly, the two tests were the same for me.

I won't recommend you slacking off on the SATs just because the PSATs were easy though. Remember that the SATs are a heck of a lot longer than PSATs. One reason why it's recommended that you try to do an SAT test in one sitting is so you know when/if you burn out during the real test.

Ok I guess I'll just work on doing the problems faster and not getting fatigued. Thanks everyone for your replies! :)

Yeah, on the ACT one of my friends took a course and studied every night, I worked 6 hours the night before the test, showed up tired, and still beat him on it. haha. He hated me.

Some of my friends said the SAT was easier, but similar. Some said it was harder. It all depends on you.
I just hate it how they make you go on a damn Saturday morning. I have school too on all Saturday mornings and it is a pain in the butt to miss class on the Saturday morning just to take the SAT. The class gives me credit and I have to get things signed and printed just so I can take the SAT's, also I will miss stuff in-class and have to do the work later on my own. Why can't they make it in the afternoon?

How do you study for the PSAT. What are the best books to study from. If I take a Kaplan psat course during the summer would it be helpful because I really want to qualify for the national merit scholarship.

Members don't see this ad :)
The writing section really in my opinion. Maybe the SAT has a few more challanging problems, but its basically the same concept. I scored higher on the SATs than i did on the PSATs as many many students do. If you get like 200-220 on the Psat, you can probably get over 2000 on the SATs with the same prep, just know the tricks to nailing the essay.

I had the exact same score on the PSAT and SAT. That was back in the day when it was out of 1600 with no writing section.

The PSAT isn't pointless if you do well enough to get national merit and get scholarship money that way.

How do you study for the PSAT. What are the best books to study from. If I take a Kaplan psat course during the summer would it be helpful because I really want to qualify for the national merit scholarship.
You can probably look that stuff up on google

For me the SAT was easier than the PSAT. Even though the former has an essay and lasts longer, you know what's coming if you've taken the PSAT. I got 228 on the PSAT and then a 2340 on the SAT. All I can suggest is to focus on the essay requirements in the prep booklet for the SAT, as that is largest difference between the two.

I didn't do as great as Mike obviously but I actually found the SAT a lot easier than the PSAT.

My PSAT score was total garbage. I took a practice ACT too and it gave me some mediocre score. Took the ACT and got a 28.

They’re both standardized tests and by nature have to be similar but what most people say is that the PSAT is much easier than the SAT. They find the questions easier as well as the time given to complete the test is more for the PSAT. Sometimes it feels like the mental ability to just keep going after hours of test taking is really all the SAT tests. Anyway, if you practice the math (which was always the hardest part for me…on both tests) you should be good. Some people like the full-length practice exams too... but that’s if you’re really ambitious. I did a few practice exams for the SAT but not for the PSAT.

The PSAT is practice for the SAT - you should use your PSAT score report to identify your weaknesses, so you know what to work on as you prepare for the SAT.

The PSAT has three sections: Critical Reading, Mathematics, and Writing Skills. You can earn between 20–80 points on each. The national average for high school juniors is approximately 50 points on each section.

Below your actual score on each section, you'll see a range of possible scores. For example, if you got a 38 on the Critical Reading section, your range of scores might be between 35 and 46. These ranges show what you should expect to get on the SAT if you don't study or practice.

To figure out your SAT score, just add an extra zero. Each SAT section is worth 800 points rather than 80. So a score of 38 on the PSAT Critical Reading Section would be like a score of 380 on the same part of the SAT. The score report also includes an answers key for each section of the PSAT. The key lists the correct answer, your answer, and the question's level of difficulty (easy, medium or hard). On the Math section, the key will also tell you whether the question was about algebra, geometry, data analysis, or numbers and operations. You will receive your test booklet back with your score report, so you can figure out exactly which questions you missed and why.

But don't stop there–as you go over your answers, think about which questions you missed and why. Look for patterns. If you missed a lot of easy questions, you should slow down when you take the test. If you got most of the easy and medium questions correct but missed most of the hard, you should work on more advanced concepts. If you missed a lot of questions in the same content area, you'll know to review that area before you take the SAT.

Click here for more info on the PSAT/SAT: http://www.princetonreview.com/college-education.aspx

Check out this link for some useful info on the PSAT and the National Merit Scholarship. http://www.princetonreview.com/college/about-psat-test.aspx

Also, here are some books that will help you with your prep: http://www.randomhouse.com/princetonreview/college/psat/

I personally thought the PSAT was easier than the SAT, but I actually did about the same. The questions on the PSAT were easier, but the curve is slightly less forgiving, just because the test itself is shorter.

That being said, PSAT is really only important as a sort of practice test/indicator, unless you score high enough to get commended or National Merit.

SAT is probably a bit harder.

I Know this thread is a little old, but for anyone still looking for answers, the PSAT and SAT are relatively similar. The scoring is a little different, (240 for the PSAT, and 2400 for the SAT) due to the fact that SAT is a little bit longer test. If you aced the PSAT though, you should do just fine on the SAT!