Psychiatry Clinical Volunteering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AyeMandaPanda

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am looking to start getting some clinical hours for my pre-med application and need some advice since I do not know where to start. I am currently going to school in a small town with limited opportunities majoring in psychology. I have managed to find good research opportunities, and am a member of both a psychology as well as a chemistry research lab, but can not seem to find many things related to clinical experience to pursue. I've checked into volunteering at the only local hospital, but was informed that they are not allowing volunteering, and wont even offer shadowing opportunities beyond 20 hours that can only become available after multiple hoops to jump through with the school (I plan to try to pursue the shadowing still, but will need more than that).
Next I checked into clinical volunteering with nursing homes and hospice care, but in both instances they required nursing certification that I do not have. I am not trained as an EMT, and can not get the certification due to those classes only happening during the normal school year when I am already enrolled full time with my current university. This is the same problem when I check into medical scribing, with the hours being in conflict with my studies.

With my research and current major, can any of you think of possible opportunities I might be missing? I would love to have clinical volunteering in mental health for example, but can not think of anything that I am qualified to help with that is both acceptable and would be available in my area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I found both of my clinical volunteering opportunities through shadowing physicians. After ~50 hours with a psychiatrist and a FM doc, they each offered for me to spend 4-8 hours a week as a MA in their clinics, and I'm now also running a support group for trans folks with the psych.

Honestly, a lot about this journey is putting yourself out there and showing initiative. I'm working 40+ hours a week in a highly technical professional field, usually taking 2 lab classes a semester, volunteer 15ish hours per week, and keep my partner and dog and house happy and well cared for with occasional time for fun and hobbies. Most of the time, folks have a lot more time than they think they do. :)

If class times are a major blocker, consider shifting your course schedule next semester. If you really truly need a cert, CNA or EMT can be taken as an accelerated/night/weekend course or over the summer next year. If you're not able to get the clinical experience during school, gap years aren't the worst thing in the world; I feel like they should be mandatory tbh.

Reactions: 1 users