Psychology, SDN, and the NCAA March Madness!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
RayneeDeigh,
We have another member! Give Paramour one of the pink (I shutter at that color) SDN Jazz club shirt.

By the way, tomorrow is Billie Holiday's birthday.

Don't worry Paramour, modern jazz is for the most part awful.

Pink?! :eek: I know this was discussed earlier . . . but I must state. I. Hate. Pink. It's like. Girly & stuff. :laugh:

Modern jazz really is bad.

There was one guy named Cornelius Bumpus who I met and loved and adored, but he died a few years ago and now modern jazz hurts my head. haha.

YAY! Now our club has three people!

Cornelius Bumpus always sounded like he belonged in a Harry Potter book to me (name-wise, that is). :D

I've listened to some modern jazz, and just don't get into it. So I sort of stopped listening to it 'cept for the stuff I already own.

Members don't see this ad.

Pink?! :eek: I know this was discussed earlier . . . but I must state. I. Hate. Pink. It's like. Girly & stuff. :laugh:

Cornelius Bumpus always sounded like he belonged in a Harry Potter book to me (name-wise, that is). :D

I've listened to some modern jazz, and just don't get into it. So I sort of stopped listening to it 'cept for the stuff I already own.

*gasp* I looooove pink. My friends at school call me Sunshine because I always dress so bright and sunny but I'm the biggest pessimist ever. :laugh:

Haha Cornelius kind of LOOKED like he belonged in Harry Potter too. I loved that guy though. I used to amuse myself by trying to think of a word that rhymes with "Bumpus". There really isn't anything. haha.

Modern jazz really is bad.

There was one guy named Cornelius Bumpus who I met and loved and adored, but he died a few years ago and now modern jazz hurts my head. haha.

YAY! Now our club has three people!

How did I wind up in a club with the two people who started the SDN Psychology brothel? :eek: Let's get something straight, just because I am in the Jazz club with the two of you does not mean that I am going to go around prostituting with the two of you or serving as the pimp. We will keep all money and supplies separate, so keep the whips and chains out of the jazz records. :laugh:

I have not heard Bumpus. I think the only new guy I like but have not heard for a while is James Carter.

Pink?! :eek: I know this was discussed earlier . . . but I must state. I. Hate. Pink. It's like. Girly & stuff. :laugh: !

I am not sure how RayneeDeigh won out on the pink shirt issue. However, Paramour and I get to choose the jazz beret style and color.

We will just not allow any new jazz in our club. I think it is because the new guys don't care about melody and don't how to swing.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did I wind up in a club with the two people who started the SDN Psychology brothel? :eek: Let's get something straight, just because I am in the Jazz club with the two of you does not mean that I am going to go around prostituting with the two of you or serving as the pimp. We will keep all money and supplies separate, so keep the whips and chains out of the jazz records. :laugh:

Oh you love it, don't lie!

I am not sure how RayneeDeigh won out on the pink shirt issue. However, Paramour and I get to choose the jazz beret style and color.

I win everything. :D Typical first-born, I am.

We will just not allow any new jazz in our club. I think it is because the new guys don't care about melody and don't how to swing.

My band teacher in high school used to say that new jazz musicians sound like white boys in Harlem. :laugh:

Speaking of jazz, I'm excited 'cause my mom and I are going to a Preservation Hall Jazz Band concert on the 12th. It's the day after I finish classes so it's a good way to celebrate.

Michigan State beat Boston College today for the NCAA Men's Division I Hockey National Championship!

Congratulations to Michigan State and SDN's own MissKatie - a proud Spartan!:)

Oh you love it, don't lie!

It is too Urban Cowboy meets Kramer (from Seinfeld) walking down the street wearing that pimp outfit for me.

I win everything. :D Typical first-born, I am.

Firstborn! Now this explains everything. However, I am also a firstborn!

My band teacher in high school used to say that new jazz musicians sound like white boys in Harlem. :laugh:
The first time I was at the Bluenote for a late set. I knew there was something wrong when I realized I was listening to a white guy from New Jersey playing saxophone with his band.

No actually, I do not think jazz should be limited to one racial or ethnic group. I think most of the new jazz musicians are overly schooled and just don't listen to enough of the old stuff themselves. Also, the market is so limited - so few people listen to jazz anymore. When Ken Burns did his documentary Jazz a few years back (and I did not think it was so great) that helped pick up some fans but jazz music sales continue to drop.

Speaking of jazz, I'm excited 'cause my mom and I are going to a Preservation Hall Jazz Band concert on the 12th. It's the day after I finish classes so it's a good way to celebrate.

Sounds good but no throwing rotten tomatoes if you do not like it!:laugh: Also, try to wear something other than pink.

You guys, I watched half of TWO hockey games today!

My friend made me 'cause he was at them and wanted me to tell him if he was on TV or not. But still, I lived through it.

I did get bored and go for dinner in the middle though. :laugh:

Congratulations to Michigan State and SDN's own MissKatie - a proud Spartan!:)

Very very very proud am I! Such an exciting game. That last minute goal? Left my friends and I in shock for a good thirty minutes. We were all like, "Did they just... was that... I mean... did that just happen... NATIONAL CHAMPIONS????!!!"

That reminds me of the last minute interception returned for a touchdown when ND was playing away at MSU this past Fall. :smuggrin: Just kidding! Except of course, we weren't anywhere close to becoming national champions. Congratulations though! Must've been a heck of a game to watch.

I LURVE jazz too, but only the piano (Oscar Peterson)/guitar (Martin Taylor)/a cappella (Take 6) kind. Then again, I've always been attracted to weird things.. :cool:

Since this is already our fluffy nonsense thread, I thought I'd stick this here.

I'M FINALLY DONE MY HONOURS THESIS!!!! :D

I just finished my last draft. Ever. Well I mean, until I submit it for publication. haha. But I'm done!! YAYYYYYYY

If I could do cartwheels, I would. :hardy:

Since this is already our fluffy nonsense thread, I thought I'd stick this here.

I just finished my last draft. Ever. Well I mean, until I submit it for publication. haha. But I'm done!! YAYYYYYYY

Woo hoo! And, congrats! :hardy:

I think that I may be done as well, but I give up trying to celebrate as I thought that a few times previously. The chair's submitting it to the other committee members tonight though, so I suppose that's a good thing. :D It better be. My defense is Wednesday! :eek: Still sort of antsy about that . . .

Woo hoo! And, congrats! :hardy:

I think that I may be done as well, but I give up trying to celebrate as I thought that a few times previously. The chair's submitting it to the other committee members tonight though, so I suppose that's a good thing. :D It better be. My defense is Wednesday! :eek: Still sort of antsy about that . . .

Oooh good luck! I'm sure it'll be great.

I've gotta do that on the 20th.

Unfortunately by stressing about applications I gained ten pounds and now none of my fancy presentation clothes fit. :laugh: I may have to show up in sweatpants.

Oooh good luck! I'm sure it'll be great.

I've gotta do that on the 20th.

Unfortunately by stressing about applications I gained ten pounds and now none of my fancy presentation clothes fit. :laugh: I may have to show up in sweatpants.

Meh, some weeks back, a gal showed up who's not been seen since this time last year. To defend. In scrubs. Sweats seem perfectly acceptable if scrubs are . . . of course, she was apparently booted out of her defense as well. (Not for the scrubs!)

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! I'm rather envious of you as my draft is sitting in a binder that needs to be edited for several hours/days.

Again, this would be another good use for the online bar.... Cheers to being done! []D (my best excuse for a typed out beer...). :D

. . .

Again, this would be another good use for the online bar.... Cheers to being done! []D (my best excuse for a typed out beer...). :D

:eek: E'gads, I'm just about ready to join you guys in that virtual bar!

My defense is tomorrow, um, well, today now. :D My thesis chair sent out my alleged 'final' thesis to the other committee members to review, yet I am still sitting here making revisions that will not be read (by the rest of the committee) prior to the defense, if ever.

Blah, anyway, break time's over--back to work.

:eek: E'gads, I'm just about ready to join you guys in that virtual bar!

My defense is tomorrow, um, well, today now. :D My thesis chair sent out my alleged 'final' thesis to the other committee members to review, yet I am still sitting here making revisions that will not be read (by the rest of the committee) prior to the defense, if ever.

Blah, anyway, break time's over--back to work.

Good Luck!! I wanna hear all about it tomorrow night. :D

Good Luck!! I wanna hear all about it tomorrow night. :D

Pfft, I'll be SLEEPING tonight! Oh, wait. I just remembered that I have to figure out what my child's doing for his book tasting at school tomorrow. Grrr . . . it never ends!

Pfft, I'll be SLEEPING tonight! Oh, wait. I just remembered that I have to figure out what my child's doing for his book tasting at school tomorrow. Grrr . . . it never ends!

What is "book tasting"?

One my friends and I thought about assigning caloric value to books based both on volume and content. Some such as Dickens wrote voluminously since he was paid by the word but the plots are all so farfetched and predictable. Wittgenstein turned philosophy upside down by writing a book under 100 pages. Then we questioned which would one rather eat - a long book with not a lot of content or a short book with a lot of depth? Ketchup is not allowed. I am not sure what we decided but I seem to remember that neither of of wanted to try to eat Aquinas' Summa Theologica!:laugh:

Oh I hear you on the sleep issue. I've had four and a half hours of sleep since Monday morning. I was telling my friend how I just want to go to bed and sleep for a day and a half, and her bright idea was to say "no you're not doing that, we're going out for tea tonight".

a) I don't drink tea
b) Didn't I just say I'm tired?

But I'm a big weenie when it comes to telling people no, so I'm apparently going out tonight. :thumbdown:

For those of you who do not know, acclaimed author Kurt Vonnegut died yesterday. Two interesting parts of his NY Times obituary read:

First, "In Chicago, Mr. Vonnegut worked as a police reporter for the City News Bureau. He also studied for a master’’s degree in anthropology at the University of Chicago, writing a thesis on ""The Fluctuations Between Good and Evil in Simple Tales."" It was rejected unanimously by the faculty. (The university finally awarded him a degree almost a quarter of a century later, allowing him to use his novel ""Cat’’s Cradle"" as his thesis.)"

Second,
"In concludes with a poem written by Mr. Vonnegut called ""Requiem,"" which has these closing lines:
When the last living thing
has died on account of us,
how poetical it would be
if Earth could say,
in a voice floating up
perhaps
from the floor
of the Grand Canyon,
“It is done.”
People did not like it here."

I really really really don't like Kurt Vonnegut. In fact, whenever I have a bad day I usually blame it on him and his depressing writing. :laugh:

Someone once told me that he was a paranoid schizophrenic, but I have no idea if that was actually true.

I really really really don't like Kurt Vonnegut. In fact, whenever I have a bad day I usually blame it on him and his depressing writing. :laugh:

Someone once told me that he was a paranoid schizophrenic, but I have no idea if that was actually true.

The article said that psychiatric problems ran in his family.

How can he be your scapegoat?

In a Rodney Dangerfield movie, Back to School, Dangerfield goes to college as an older man. He submits a paper on Kurt Vonnegut which he pays Kurt Vonnegut to write (Vonnegut shows up in the movie). The professors returns the paper with an F and says, "whovever wrote this paper does not know a thing about Kurt Vonnegut." Dangerfield gets on the phone with Vonnegut and says, "Vonnegut, your fired! Flunk me, flunk you!"

The article said that psychiatric problems ran in his family.

How can he be your scapegoat?

In a Rodney Dangerfield movie, Back to School, Dangerfield goes to college as an older man. He submits a paper on Kurt Vonnegut which he pays Kurt Vonnegut to write (Vonnegut shows up in the movie). The professors returns the paper with an F and says, "whovever wrote this paper does not know a thing about Kurt Vonnegut." Dangerfield gets on the phone with Vonnegut and says, "Vonnegut, your fired! Flunk me, flunk you!"

It's been a while, but didn't he (Vonnegut) grade his own works in one of his books? I seem to recall that they didn't all receive high grades--so maybe he wrote a crappy paper for Dangerfield as well. ;)

It's been a while, but didn't he (Vonnegut) grade his own works in one of his books? I seem to recall that they didn't all receive high grades--so maybe he wrote a crappy paper for Dangerfield as well. ;)

No, I think Dangerfield paid Vonnegut alone. Vonnegut shows up at the fancy dorm room. Later the paper gets an F.

There are many great movie scenes of school classrooms. My favorites are from Back To School, Animal House, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, and (a serious one) The Paperchase.

No, I think Dangerfield paid Vonnegut alone. Vonnegut shows up at the fancy dorm room. Later the paper gets an F.

There are many great movie scenes of school classrooms. My favorites are from Back To School, Animal House, Fast Times At Ridgemont High, and (a serious one) The Paperchase.

No, no, no--not talking about in the movie! I'm talking about one of Vonnegut's books IRL. He 'graded' some of his works in one of those chapters. Nothing to do with movie, or Dangerfield. :D

A special Jazz/ SDN March congratulations from everyone who has participated on this thread to RayneeDeigh and her sock puppets (how much funding do they get?) for her acceptance to Saskatchewan (I can't be expected to spell that right - can I just call it BigFoot U for short? Similar to Bullwinkle's WhatsamattaU!) University!

The official March Madness Thread House Jazz band will be playing RayneeDeigh's favorite selections all day. If you watch closely, you may even see RayneeDeigh and her sock puppets swinging!:laugh:

A special Jazz/ SDN March congratulations from everyone who has participated on this thread to RayneeDeigh and her sock puppets (how much funding do they get?) for her acceptance to Saskatchewan (I can't be expected to spell that right - can I just call it BigFoot U for short? Similar to Bullwinkle's WhatsamattaU!) University!

The official March Madness Thread House Jazz band will be playing RayneeDeigh's favorite selections all day. If you watch closely, you may even see RayneeDeigh and her sock puppets swinging!:laugh:

Well you spelled it right anyway, congratulations!

I request a song line-up including Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, and the Pussycat Dolls.

I request a song line-up including Charlie Parker, Duke Ellington, and the Pussycat Dolls.

Oooh, Charlie Parker! :clap: I played him before class the other day--my students thought I was bonkers. Of course, now that I think about it, I play a lot of jazz right before class and most of 'em have no idea what's going on. :laugh:

Oooh, Charlie Parker! :clap: I played him before class the other day--my students thought I was bonkers. Of course, now that I think about it, I play a lot of jazz right before class and most of 'em have no idea what's going on. :laugh:

I will marry Charlie Parker's ghost one day.

Yes on Parker and Duke!:hardy: Double No on the Pussycat Dolls!:p How did you slip them on to my Thread anyway? The SDN March Madness Jazz Ensembles only knows standards. I suggest that you watch their reality show to get your dose of the Pussycat Dolls.

Vicarious listening will pay off!

I will marry Charlie Parker's ghost one day.

No Necrophilia allowed on this Thread! Ever since that crazy Patrick Swayze movie everyone want to fall in love with a ghost. Next thing you know, you will want to start shop lifting like Demi Moore! Just listen to Bird's music an leave it at that.

Yes on Parker and Duke!:hardy: Double No on the Pussycat Dolls!:p How did you slip them on to my Thread anyway? The SDN March Madness Jazz Ensembles only knows standards. I suggest that you watch their reality show to get your dose of the Pussycat Dolls.

That's precisely what I did all morning, actually.

No Necrophilia allowed on this Thread! Ever since that crazy Patrick Swayze movie everyone want to fall in love with a ghost. Next thing you know, you will want to start shop lifting like Demi Moore! Just listen to Bird's music an leave it at that.

See, you turn everything into something dirty. In a grave somewhere, Freud is getting out his paper and pen and going "hmmmm, zis is veeeeeery iiiinteresting"

That's precisely what I did all morning, actually.
See, you turn everything into something dirty. In a grave somewhere, Freud is getting out his paper and pen and going "hmmmm, zis is veeeeeery iiiinteresting"

Mon Cheri,
I am not the one who is proposing marrying a ghost. You are! I am just trying to keep this Thread clean with no Limusesque problems.

A GRAVE! A GRAVE!! Let's get something straight. Freud, actually to you and everyone else (alright not the Kansas and Western Michigan behaviorists) that is Herr Sigmund Freud, MD, never died! He is just hanging out with Elvis, Jim Morrison, and Andy Kaufman until the world is ready for their genius!

Also, everyone knows that psychoanalysts do not take notes. They sit behind their patient, who is on the couch facing the way, sleeping while the patient talks! They only wake up at the end to say see you tomorrow for the next 20 years!:laugh:

I just realized that you said "double no" to the Pussycat Dolls.

Double negative = positive! YAY! YOU LOVE THE PUSSYCAT DOLLS!

Come on you know you do.

And now an important interruption . . .

Red Wings stomped Calgary! :clap:

/hijack :cool:

And now an important interruption . . .

Red Wings stomped Calgary! :clap:

/hijack :cool:

On the aniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier in Major League Basbeball you post about Hockey - a basically all white sport. Please Paramour, show some more sensitivity. Have we learned nothing from the Imus affair?

The SDN March Madness Thread would like to be the first Thread to extend condolences and well wishes to the unfortunate victims today at the Virginia Tech. University shootings.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/?GT1=9246

Perhaps all SDN students and future students should take a moment to reflect on how not only brilliant academic careers but one's life can suddenly be cut short. We tend to think of college/ university life as a time of great happiness and excitement. However, too often the violence and general problems of society spill over into academia. Very sad. Basically, this entire SDN website deals with people planning for their futures. However, how many of us stop to consider what if that future is wiped out or tragically cut short.

I have had two close personal friends die; one was in the midst of getting a Ph.D. and one had just finished and was just starting as a professor. Both were at two of the most prestigious universities in the world.

Although it may be cliche, count your blessings and take time to reflect on the good times while they are happening.

The SDN March Madness Thread would like to be the first Thread to extend condolences and well wishes to the unfortunate victims today at the Virginia Tech. University shootings.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18134671/?GT1=9246

Perhaps all SDN students and future students should take a moment to reflect on how not only brilliant academic careers but one's life can suddenly be cut short. We tend to think of college/ university life as a time of great happiness and excitement. However, too often the violence and general problems of society spill over into academia. Very sad. Basically, this entire SDN website deals with people planning for their futures. However, how many of us stop to consider what if that future is wiped out or tragically cut short.

I have had two close personal friends die; one was in the midst of getting a Ph.D. and one had just finished and was just starting as a professor. Both were at two of the most prestigious universities in the world.

Although it may be cliche, count your blessings and take time to reflect on the good times while they are happening.

I agree. In January I had a friend die. She was 4 months from finishing naval nursing school and killed herself when she discovered her husband was sleeping with her brother's wife (confusing, I know). That really hit home and showed me how short life really can be.

Taking a break from the tragic issues in the news,

Here we go Rangers, Here we go! Score 7 to 0. Three game to none lead!

Also, does anyone think that Sammy Sosa's return to baseball is an attempt to redeem himself in light of the steroid controversy? And, if he is successful, we he get into the Hall of Fame unlike McGuire?