Psychology/Sociology Resources?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted244469

Well, since the new MCAT has been out for over a year now, does anyone have any recommendations for solid materials for this section? I've read the KA lectures are fantastic, but that's about it. Every other resource (TPR, Kaplan, Etc) has been hit or miss with regards to positive/negative reviews. There just seems like SO MUCH information to study.....

Members don't see this ad.

There are unlimited terms, and no single resource will teach you every concept that you will need to know.

If you have MCAT prep books, just use your psych / soc book as a reference. Read the neuroanatomy parts and get a general idea of the CNS / PNS / ear / eyes / relevant physio.

Then go through all the KA P/S passages and study the concepts that come up as you go. For example, if you see a question asking about reinforcement, but you don't know about it, read about that part in your psych / soc book, use google, or watch a KA video.

Use Anki or flashcards to keep track of all of these concepts and cycle through your deck after you get through all the KA passages to memorize all of your terms.

At this point you will have a core understanding of P / S concepts and you can just add to your deck as you take passages for practice, full-lengths, and AAMC material. If there is something you don't know just use keep using google, KA videos, or post on here.

At least that was my approach. I decided that I wasn't going to just read my P/S book after getting super bored within the first day and found videos to be too slow. Many others use different strategies so feel free to modify as you feel is best :) I hope this helps because about a month ago I posted about studying P / S - I wasn't sure how to approach it. With a bit of studying you'll find that this section isn't as scary as the others!

If you have time you can also take an intro to psych class which covers a bulk of what you need to know.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
There are unlimited terms, and no single resource will teach you every concept that you will need to know.

If you have MCAT prep books, just use your psych / soc book as a reference. Read the neuroanatomy parts and get a general idea of the CNS / PNS / ear / eyes / relevant physio.

Then go through all the KA P/S passages and study the concepts that come up as you go. For example, if you see a question asking about reinforcement, but you don't know about it, read about that part in your psych / soc book, use google, or watch a KA video.

Use Anki or flashcards to keep track of all of these concepts and cycle through your deck after you get through all the KA passages to memorize all of your terms.

At this point you will have a core understanding of P / S concepts and you can just add to your deck as you take passages for practice, full-lengths, and AAMC material. If there is something you don't know just use keep using google, KA videos, or post on here.

At least that was my approach. I decided that I wasn't going to just read my P/S book after getting super bored within the first day and found videos to be too slow. Many others use different strategies so feel free to modify as you feel is best :) I hope this helps because about a month ago I posted about studying P / S - I wasn't sure how to approach it. With a bit of studying you'll find that this section isn't as scary as the others!

If you have time you can also take an intro to psych class which covers a bulk of what you need to know.

Thanks for the Advice! It's just daunting how many concepts/definitions are out there :-/. I was lucky enough to get my favorite UG Pysch Professor to email me his Research Methods Slides, so that should help a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used a combination of Kaplan and Princeton review books and I pretty much had content down for the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Psych/soci is definitely one of my weakest subject on the MCAT. I've been making flashcards of definitions and terms and trying to memorize them but I'm not sure whether this is the right/most effective way to study as the number of terms to know is infinite and I just feel like I'm almost re-writing every other bolded word from the TPR books onto flashcards...

@pch there are terms / concepts that we all need to know- the trick is knowing which ones are the highest yield. Going through TPR may help, but the prep books tend to be overloaded with information (which isn't bad, but means that they should be used as a good reference rather than something to memorize). You could skip to the glossary, go with terms listed on the mcat outline, or go through the KA passages to get terms + passages at the same time. There are a lot of ways to tackle this section :)

Reactions: 1 users