This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedpsyche

Reaction score
Hello! I have been accepted to Spalding University, William James College, and Nova Southeastern University (all Psyd), and am having trouble finding recent information about the pros/cons about each school and deciding where I should go.

If anyone has any information about these programs, have attended them, or just have any beneficial information at all I would be so grateful. Thank you in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the offers! I am in the same boat as well and I'm having a hard time deciding between Nova and Spalding :/

Spalding has a good match rate, and licensure rate. It's expensive and their historical EPPP pass rates have been abysmal.
William James, Super expensive, ok match rates, high attrition rates, abysmal EPPP pass rates
Nova, super expensive, variable match rates, high attrition, not quite abysmal, but still terrible EPPP pass rates

How much debt do you want to have, and how hard of a time do you want in eventually getting licensed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Spalding has a good match rate, and licensure rate. It's expensive and their historical EPPP pass rates have been abysmal.
William James, Super expensive, ok match rates, high attrition rates, abysmal EPPP pass rates
Nova, super expensive, variable match rates, high attrition, not quite abysmal, but still terrible EPPP pass rates

How much debt do you want to have, and how hard of a time do you want in eventually getting licensed?
Thanks for the reply, it was really helpful. I obviously want the least amount of debt, which is one of the pros that I found about Spalding. Where do you find information about the EPPP pass rates? I'm sorry for the dumb question but can you explain the difference between the licensure rate and the EPPP rate?

Thanks for the reply, it was really helpful. I obviously want the least amount of debt, which is one of the pros that I found about Spalding. Where do you find information about the EPPP pass rates? I'm sorry for the dumb question but can you explain the difference between the licensure rate and the EPPP rate?

There is some historical EPPP pass rate that data ASPPB used to publish regularly. Though, I believe that 2017 may have been the last year. You need to pass the EPPP to get licensed, but you also may have some people who choose not to get licensed.

Did you apply broadly, as in also looking at funded PsyDs and clinically balanced PhDs? In these circumstances, I'd usually advise a year or two beefing up a CV to get into a fully funded program, but every person has to make their own decision.

Reactions: 1 user
There is some historical EPPP pass rate that data ASPPB used to publish regularly. Though, I believe that 2017 may have been the last year. You need to pass the EPPP to get licensed, but you also may have some people who choose not to get licensed.

Did you apply broadly, as in also looking at funded PsyDs and clinically balanced PhDs? In these circumstances, I'd usually advise a year or two beefing up a CV to get into a fully funded program, but every person has to make their own decision.
A little confused about how Spalding's licensure rate is 91% but their EPPP pass rate is 60% as of 2017- how does that work?

I applied to 20 programs, a blend of funded PsyDs and balanced PhDs, but only got into these 3. I took a year off after Undergrad and worked on my CV, but I don't think I can take another year off and might just have to choose between these three. In your opinion, which would you choose?

A little confused about how Spalding's licensure rate is 91% but their EPPP pass rate is 60% as of 2017- how does that work?

You can take the EPPP multiple times, the EPPP rates reported by ASPPB are for first-time test takers. As for choosing, these are unacceptable levels of debt for me, among equally important quality issues. I simply wouldn't choose any of them. I would either apply again in following cycles, or consider another career path, personally.

Reactions: 2 users
And William James and Nova have cohorts of ~90 students. My cohort was 7 and my overall program is nearly always 30 or less.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
And William James and Nova have cohorts of ~90 students. My cohort was 7 and my overall program is nearly always 30 or less.
This large cohort would be the thing I would avoid. The training process is hard enough and being lost in a crowd would probably have tipped me over the edge. The personal mentorship and guidance that we were able to receive from faculty and others because of the relatively small community were key to good professional development.

Reactions: 1 users