PTA OR OT for long term career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Applecore1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Facing the tough decision whether to get my associates in PTA or do a masters OT program as a long term career. I'm 40 years old and have been a Massage Therapist for 10+ years. I also have a one of those non-pragmatic humanities bachelors degrees! Massage Therapy has been very good to me as a career and I have an implicit aptitude for work of a clincal nature, Unfortunately I know that I can't do it long term- the aches and pains associated with deep tissue modalities are starting to become more difficult to work out and benefits would be a welcome perk as I continue to age.
Because of my Bachelors work and the schooling for my massage licensure- I only have three semesters of schooling to get my PTA. The option of applying for OT school would require only 3 prequisites and the GRE and then the 2 1/2 years to complete the masters program; so reallistcally about 4 years. PTA interests me because of my existing work but I'm concerned that it will be just as physically taxing as I advance in years (I plan to work until at least 70) and because it's a terminal degree my options are limited to that assistant role with salary topping out fairly quickly. OT interests me because of the range of opportunities with more pay and the ability to choose positions that are physically sustainable as I get older.
Any thoughts, experiences, or directives are appreciated as I continue to consider options

Members don't see this ad.