PTSP Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kapnut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a MS3 planing on applying to PTSP programs next year. I probably will not be able to do an elective in the fellowship that I want to do it until next year. My question is how important is it to do an elective in the fellowship I'll be applying for? Does it even matter, I did my PhD in the same area w/ multiple publications in the same area?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I haven't found that it matters. It's way more about your research area and the fact that you have a strong publication record/lots of abstracts/grants, etc. If you did diabetes research and then suddenly tell them you want to do Pulm/Crit, there might be some raised eyebrows, but overall, whether or not you rotate in the field seems less important than just doing well in your rotations in general. My letters all came from general medicine and family medicine, plus two letters from my co-PhD mentors. From what I've seen so far, the PSTPs also are aware that you may change when you enter residency and do a 180 on your specialty too.