Publication question: 4th coauthorship on PNAS paper = no need LOR from the phD of the lab.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darknightzzz

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I will graduate this June. I will apply to dental school this June. I already took my DAT (21 TS, 22 AA, 23 PAT, 23 BIO, 21 GCHEM, 23 OCHEM, 23 PAT, 19 RC, 21 QR) in November, 2014 and have a 3.9 cumulative GPA with 3.9 science GPA with a double major in Biological science and Chemistry at UC Irvine. I currently shadow an orthodentist and will have a LOR from him as well as a LOR from my boss from a 2 year-period job and a LOR from a chem upper div professor from a 1-quarter class

The story is I did research in this lab and something awful happened, I ended up quitting. This research expanded a 2 year period of my undergraduate career. It is highly unlikely I will come back and ask for a LOR from the phD of this lab. However, I did get a 4th coauthor position on a paper that is published in PNAS (proceedings of national academy of science).

Is this 4th coauthor position enough to take out any questions from the admission committee as to why I have not obtained a good LOR from the phD in the lab where I spend two years of my life at?

Please tell me

Thank you!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Why do you feel they would even ask that question?

Why do you feel they would even ask that question?

Because they did research under this person for 2 years and the normal thing to do is get a letter of recommendation from that person. They may not ask about it, but the absence of one would certainly be noticed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Because they did research under this person for 2 years and the normal thing to do is get a letter of recommendation from that person. They may not ask about it, but the absence of one would certainly be noticed.

But, is the 4th coauthorship helping the app much? does it break a tie between two equally competitive applicants?

Theres nowhere on AADSAS that allows you to put down your publications. So unless you explicitly state it in your personal statement they won't even know. And judging by your great stats I highly doubt this will be the thing that prevents you from getting into dental school.....you're worrying over nothing.

Theres nowhere on AADSAS that allows you to put down your publications. So unless you explicitly state it in your personal statement they won't even know. And judging by your great stats I highly doubt this will be the thing that prevents you from getting into dental school.....you're worrying over nothing.

I thought you can put your publication in like extracurricular activity? or in award section?

thanks!

I thought you can put your publication in like extracurricular activity? or in award section?

thanks!
You can but you're super limited on words.....I couldn't even fit the titles of my publications with the space given.

You can but you're super limited on words.....I couldn't even fit the titles of my publications with the space given.

ohh, so you also had a coauthorship? did it help in your interview and admission?

so how do you fit your publications?

ohh, so you also had a coauthorship? did it help in your interview and admission?

so how do you fit your publications?
I didn't put them on AADSAS, just indicated my research jobs and summarized what I did. No one asked me about publications during interviews.