Pulmonary & Critical Care thread 2007 match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone interviewed this or last year at U Mass Worcester? How was the interview experience? any comments about the program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

HI everyone, New to this forum.
I ve apllied to only 6 programs. I've seen that you heard from program I didn't have any answers yet.
I've got 2 interviews and 2 rejects
UVA
VCU
reject Georgetown
No news from Wash Univ

Any clues?? How is VCU and UVA??
Thanks

IF the program director tells you something like "you would be a good fit here", what does that mean? Do they truly mean that, or is it just pillow talk and something they tell everyone? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU - Located in Richmond. They have VCU university hospital and mc guire va. very solid transplant in bone marrow . ICU is always busy and they are shifting to anew location callled the critical care towers by 2008. bronch's - average 3-4 per day . also very young faculty , a mix of senior fcaulty as well as recent graduates is the best term to desribe thjis. they have a strong interventional pulmonary service ( even beats UVA) but I hink their lung transplant program is going down.....but on the whole a solid program .

VCU - Located in Richmond. They have VCU university hospital and mc guire va. very solid transplant in bone marrow . ICU is always busy and they are shifting to anew location callled the critical care towers by 2008. bronch's - average 3-4 per day . also very young faculty , a mix of senior fcaulty as well as recent graduates is the best term to desribe thjis. they have a strong interventional pulmonary service ( even beats UVA) but I hink their lung transplant program is going down.....but on the whole a solid program .

Thanks a lot bugmentol!! What do you think of UVA? do you think is better than VCU?

Late interviews from Wake and Utah. Anybody know if this is good or bad? Just fill in interviews?? Should i go or take them serious? They both seem like strong programs in good areas, any thoughts?

Utah is a good place. Very strong critical care. New Intermountain Medical Center opening soon. Pulmonary training is a bit weaker but adequate, outside of the Tobacco Belt. Great faculty at all three hospitals....it was also a great place to do residency.

Hi,

Has anyone interviewed here? Any info about the program?

Thanks!

Hey Guys..any info about Duke PCCM program?
Thanks.

I didn't get any answers from George Washington University yet? What does that mean?? No rejection, although not invitation either:scared:

i am not sure exactly what to make of the no replies either. I have written them off as rejections. I still have 5 programs with no response even after I emailed them about my status. However, i did get two late interviews, so i guess that its not over till may 15th. Either way, I dont feel like I am a strong canidate at programs with late offers, but ill be going anyway

I only applied to two programs, interviewed at them both. At one, the program director told me "you'd be a good fit here. If you rank us high you'll likely end up here" and at the other, one of my interviewers (not the PD) told me "you're one of our top candiates, we want you to end up here".....I'm not posting this to toot my own horn, but just wondering what does it mean? Are these programs really interested in me, or is this something that everyone is told?????

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any program that doesn't participate in the NRMP ( match)?? Are there any pre match available?

wow...this baord is dead. Lets try to get some stuff going: what's everyones top choice of their interviews?

mine is Mayo Rochester. Loved everything about the program.

up late call, agree that we may have coded...

as for non NRMP, i think there are 2 or 3 officially, look under eras, it will list them, i think they are all military. I havent heard of any others.

I think "you would be a good fit" is a positive. I dont think that most programs interview people whom they dont think will be a good match there. So just getting interview is prob 90% of it all. Also, PCC is still competitive enough that they dont have to sell their program, like IM, for example. I have also heard, that early invites are a good thing. PD's often pick out their top initially that catch their eye then review in more detail the others.

as for best programs, i am not quite in middle of interviews, still have 7 left, last one is end of april. Probably interviewing more then I need, but you never really know about program till you actually visit. Liked baylor, davis and uva so far.

Overall, i am finding out that some programs are strong in some things and weak in others. My overall impression is that you can get good training in nearly any program. What makes the difference, other then name and location, is whether you want to be expert in sub-sub specialty (ILD, Pulm HTN, Tansplant, etc) or further fellowship like sleep or interventional. Also, whether you want more clinical (24-30 months) vs academic (18 months research).

I ,too ,would be interested to hear anyone elses thought or comments on interview trail.

Overall, i am finding out that some programs are strong in some things and weak in others. My overall impression is that you can get good training in nearly any program. What makes the difference, other then name and location, is whether you want to be expert in sub-sub specialty (ILD, Pulm HTN, Tansplant, etc) or further fellowship like sleep or interventional. Also, whether you want more clinical (24-30 months) vs academic (18 months research).QUOTE]

This was something I noticed when I interviewed few years ago...just how variable programs were in terms of components of training. Unlike IM training, which is much more standardized, fellowships are a bit more free-form. I found myself gravitating to the most balanced option...the one with strong basic and clinical research bases as well as a larger hospital system w/ clinical centers in things like pHTN, transplant, CF, ILD etc....the only thing missing here was interventional which is still a bit of a splinter and not widespread (although there are whispers of changing that). A program's training really is a reflection of the some of its parts.

UVA..... I think is a strong program, although the fellows are not as happy and I think that tells you more about what to expect from it.
I am still waiting to hear about some programs...do not know what to think..clearly I am not in their top list:)

Anyone knows anything about the following places:

Cedars Sinai Med. Center (CA)
Loma Linda Univ. (CA)
OHSU (OR)
UTMB (TX)
UIC (IL)
Henry Ford (MI)
Cooper Health-UMDNJ (NJ)
UTM (TN)
Lahey Clinic (MA)
Penn State (PA).

Thanks,
D.

So anybody with any thoughts on rank lists/programs you liked/hated, etc....?

something interesting

Last edited:
Hi guys have you been sending thank you letters after the interviews? Some people say it doesn't matter, I haven't been. Any thoughts?:eek:

I hear protocol these days is to take the PD out to dinner at Applebees or Damon's.

I have wrote thank you emails to the PD at some places...not many replied...still probably a good idea.
Just got to wait and see...

Started interviewing mid March. :scared:
Just finished my sixth interview last week, one this week and two next week. So far so good.:thumbup:
Then will ponder about the rank order list. I wonder if interviewing late will cost me a position. :confused:
I hope to have the answer by the end of June. :idea:

I didn't realize we have to register seperately for the match. Another 40 bucks to NRMP. No late fees but don't forget to register until it's too late (late May).

something interesting: Minnesota only had 3 spots this year, as opposed to the four they normally have. wonder why. oh well, now I play, the eaiting game

What has the reputation of Columbia been on the interview trail?

HI,

Has anyone interviewed at Stanford? Any reviews? Thanks!

stanford is a little bit smaller than the top 10 programs but the research they do there is good, from what I hear. Most of the people also seem great. Its call, however, from what I remember, is overnight and I believe it is q4 - it sounds brutal. Not to mention one of my interviewers pimped me for 30 minutes on pulmonary and critical care questions, which alone was enough to turn me off.

I assume that most people have finished or near finished interview by now. Not too many comments about interview trail. Now its time to consider rank list and this may be harder for some then others.

Here are my thoughts what about you guys/gals?

I am trying to first weigh whether I am serious about becoming a researcher with so much debt and a huge family.
Next, should I go to a strong power house clinical program and work my tail but do little research unless i do extra years, is it better if want private practice?
Next - will there be time for moonlighting.
Next - how important is name and who really does have a "great" name in pulm other then denver, ucsf, wash u, Duke, pitt, seattle? Does school name matter more then actual strength of division?
Next - do i really need transplant, sleep, interventional if I am not planning on doing them?
Last, but not least - good PD's/cheif, not approachable in some big programs, should i worry

Gordo I like your comments about the factors that influence your decision making. Everyone is going to have different needs from a fellowship program.
I really liked certain programs like UCSD, Yale, and BU. But people have written about the "Big Five or ten" on this website. Which programs have the "Big" names?

allmost there.....has anyone heards anything either at or after their interviews that lets them know one way or another what the program thought of them? just curious....

allmost there.....has anyone heards anything either at or after their interviews that lets them know one way or another what the program thought of them? just curious....

I've heard from a couple of places....you know, the "You'd be a great fit..." smoke up the ass comments.....nothing to place too much hope on....

my last interview - i really liked the program

I haven't really heard a whole lot about it(the website does not do justice)
From the interview, I liked it more than certain biggies - in my naive opinion, I'd place it in the top 5% of the programs - but then again, this is what I gathered only after a day of interviewing with them
Although I must add - i was the only one that day - and 10 faculty members spent 30 mins each with me.

any words of wisdom/opinion/heresay/gossip/anything?
thanks broncos

I don't know anything about University Texas (I am an East Coast Guy) but it is good to hear that you really liked the program. I don't believe in "Top 5%" or the Biggies....it is about where each of us is going to fit best.

Do the program usually send letters saying that you would be a good fit in the program? Do they send them to everyone or only to the ones they will rank high?
What is your experience guys?

Thanks

(I got a letter like that, I don't know what to make of it):confused:

Hi,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who is applying for pulm CC fellowship after having worked out of residency for one or more years? I am an attending and am planning to go back into fellowship. But ofcourse, its not easy to leave a 'cozy' lifestyle and returning to training.

Any folks out there who are in a similar situation and what your thoughts are on returning to fellowship after being out in practice?

Thanks.

Wednesday could either make third year pretty chill or downright awfull.

good luck, hope we get happy posters on wednsesday!

Last edited:
Good luck in the match tomorrow, everyone.

University of Pittsburgh! Happy!!!!!

l

Last edited:
well, i cant complain since i did match. but what they heck. I dropped all the way to my 8th. luckily i did all those interviews. Best wishes to all

hi guys,

I am a new PGY2 in a good community hospital ( I chose it over some University Programs due to location, its own fellowships, etc), IMG on H1B. Want to do PCCM. Anyone has any suggestions?