Pushback in the community

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got done reading a note where the cardiologist consultant chastised the prior EP for sending home a non toxic ct proven kidney stone. The admitting diagnosis for the repeat visit was acute cholecystitis.

What benefit does this confer upon the consultant aside from a transient warm feeling of smugness?

Clarification - the smugness is permanent, it's the warm feeling that's transient.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, no jury of doctors, but here in Texas we are afforded the ability to practice sane medicine each day, every day. Sure, some still don't, but when the standard goes from "anything that could ever happen to the patient that could be traced back to that hospital visit" to "willful and wanton", it's a game changer.

TX is great. I don't worry about malpractice claims or lawsuits when I practice here. I still have to worry about patient complaints and hospital administration. Fortunately those can only result in the loss of a job, rather than loss of license/career.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got done reading a note where the cardiologist consultant chastised the prior EP for sending home a non toxic ct proven kidney stone. The admitting diagnosis for the repeat visit was acute cholecystitis.

The best part is it was a cardiologist. Neither of those unrelated disease processes has a lick to do with cardiology, even if the patient had a demand STEMI from their septic shock.

Members don't see this ad :)

Those types of notes should result in an immediate firing.

Not just from the perspective of an ep.

That doc is increasing the potential liability of the hospital, and if I was the ceo, I'd want that to stop.

I try to never write anything like that in the chart. Even when a consultant won't come in or won't do what's right, I just state the facts.

Spoke with dr x who did not think x,y,z was needed at this time. I did not agree so I did whatever i ended up doing.

Reactions: 1 user
Those types of notes should result in an immediate firing.

Not just from the perspective of an ep.

That doc is increasing the potential liability of the hospital, and if I was the ceo, I'd want that to stop.

I try to never write anything like that in the chart. Even when a consultant won't come in or won't do what's right, I just state the facts.

Spoke with dr x who did not think x,y,z was needed at this time. I did not agree so I did whatever i ended up doing.

I once heard of a Surgery attending at our hospital complimenting his senior surgery resident for one of his notes, on which he wrote on the chart, "Chest tube placement due to prior sub-optimal placement." In reality, one of the ER doctors had gone way too low and lacerated the liver when placing the chest tube... Major complications. When the surgery attending saw the way that he had written "sub-optimal placement", he complimented him by saying, "This is an attending-level note."

The point was not to hang your own hospital and to be careful about what kind of language you use on the chart.

Reactions: 3 users