Q about: lactose intolerance diarrhea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliffh65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is an NBME Q, I am so confused:confused:

Which of the following is the best explanation for lactose intolerance diarrhea?
A) Impaired intestinal motility
B) Inflammatory process
C) Malabsorption
D) Secretory process

I couldn't find any answer among these choices.
Anyone can help?

Members don't see this ad.

C. Can't break it down, so it goes down intestine where bacteria break it up, and create an osmolar difference, bringing water into intestinal lumen. Gives you diarrhea.

It's C; people get confused b/c you are eventually going to secrete fluid 2/2 to the osmotic difference but it is a primary disorder related to malabsorption of lactose resulting from a deficiency in lactase; a true secretory diarrhea is not dependent on osmotic difference (i.e. Cholera infx) per se....I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
But to my understanding, Malabsorption is the state of impaired absorption of nutrients in the small intestine.
Causes including those diseases involved in fat absorption:
Coeliac disease
Crohn's disease
Insufficiency of the pancreas (e.g. after pancreatitis or in cystic fibrosis)
Whipple's disease

Even in Kaplan-Internal Medicine- p17, I couldn't find a clue for Lactose intolerance as a Malabsorption disease. You don't lose weight from it.

That's why I do not consider Lactose intolerance as a Malabsorption disease.

Please correct me if I was wrong.

C. If I remember correctly, it causes an osmotic diarrhea, not a secretory diarrhea.

This is an NBME Q, I am so confused:confused:

Which of the following is the best explanation for lactose intolerance diarrhea?
A) Impaired intestinal motility
B) Inflammatory process
C) Malabsorption
D) Secretory process

I couldn't find any answer among these choices.
Anyone can help?

I believe the answer is "Secretory process". Lactose (a sugar) remains in the bowel, which result is this sugar pulling water with it and causing osmotic diarrhea.

I believe the answer is "Secretory process". Lactose (a sugar) remains in the bowel, which result is this sugar pulling water with it and causing osmotic diarrhea.

Secretory Diarrhea - Caused by abnormal ion transport across the intestinal epithilial cells. This can result in increased secretion or decreased absorbtion. Examples include cholera, e.coli, celiac sprue, etc.

Osmotic Diarrhea - Presence of unabsorbable solute, brings fluid into the lumen. Causes an osmotic gap that is increased. Examples include: Lactose intolerance, malabsorption, poorly absorbed sugars..etc.

So the answer to this question IMHO is clearly C, this is not a secretory process, and I have yet to be convinced otherwise.

http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/diseasemanagement/gastro/diarrhea/diarrhea.htm