Quantum Numbers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJtiesto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The question asks "What are the four quantum numbers for the electron furthest from the nucleus"

I think the answer is n=3, l=2, m=3, ms=-1/2

There are four answer choices with the correct one being: (3,2,2,1/2)

The other 3 answer choices are blatantly wrong. So I am assuming that the question was worded incorrectly since what is shown is set of numbers for an electron (not the outermost).

Is my answer correct or is the answer given in the answer choices the actual set...

Members don't see this ad.

The question asks "What are the four quantum numbers for the electron furthest from the nucleus"

I think the answer is n=3, l=2, m=3, ms=-1/2

There are four answer choices with the correct one being: (3,2,2,1/2)

The other 3 answer choices are blatantly wrong. So I am assuming that the question was worded incorrectly since what is shown is set of numbers for an electron (not the outermost).

Is my answer correct or is the answer given in the answer choices the actual set...

It really boils down to the principal quantum no. As n increases, the energy increases ( remember its negative). Following n, you will look at the azimuthal Quantum no which is given by (n-1), thus you should have 0,1,2. 2 or d orbital being the farthest. Then you get magnetic quantum no which are -2,-1,0,1,2. so 2 is the farthest. I don't really see anything wrong with the q. they are asking you the exact location of the electron in q.