Query regarding prereq/recommended courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psyched*Out

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I have a few questions about courses I should be taking that would fulfill most pre reqs for medical schools:

1. I don't really have time to look through every medical school and their specific requirements, so for those of you with more experience, what courses (aside from the usual 2 semesters of physics, orgo chem, gen chem, biochem, and 2 semesters of bio) would you recommend taking to cover my bases for most schools. By this I mean if courses like general genetics, cell bio, microbio, calc 1 & 2, anatomy and physiology etc are worth taking

2. For the courses you guys recommend from question 1, would you recommend I take the lab portion for each class as well as the lecture, or just the lecture section?

** For reference, I am a psychology major, so most of my courses will be focused towards that, which is why I want to intentional with every course I take that does not fulfill a requirement for my major

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
An upper division biology class. Depending on your school, that likely include genetics, cell bio or microbio. Microbio may require a lab component.

A stats class is always useful too if that is not already included as part of your major. Some schools still require a year of math (and I am unsure if psych stats would count).

Members don't see this ad :)
You probably already have this given your major, but I'm starting to see social sciences (often intro psych) required as well.

Some schools have specific math requirements, especially some state schools. Sometimes stats (most commonly), but there are definitely some schools that require calculus.

Another specific requirement I've seen bite a few of my students applying are schools that require Composition/Literature classes, especially if you're not picking them up as part of your general education requirements.

For recommended classes, I'd second the suggestions for a genetics class and/or microbiology.

I don't really have time to look through every medical school and their specific requirements

Also, I hate to be that person, but you have to do this: it's part of preparing for your application and making sure you have what you need. Do you need to look through all 162 programs? No. But you need to have some idea of the programs you're most interested in / most likely to apply to, and have checked what their requirements are. The same applies for letters, other tests they might require, and every other piece of pertinent information.

Trusting to generalities and "what's commonly required" will only get you so far and likely runs the risk of missing things or not being eligible for a school you end up really wanting to apply to.

You probably already have this given your major, but I'm starting to see social sciences (often intro psych) required as well.

Some schools have specific math requirements, especially some state schools. Sometimes stats (most commonly), but there are definitely some schools that require calculus.

Another specific requirement I've seen bite a few of my students applying are schools that require Composition/Literature classes, especially if you're not picking them up as part of your general education requirements.

For recommended classes, I'd second the suggestions for a genetics class and/or microbiology.

Also, I hate to be that person, but you have to do this: it's part of preparing for your application and making sure you have what you need. Do you need to look through all 162 programs? No. But you need to have some idea of the programs you're most interested in / most likely to apply to, and have checked what their requirements are. The same applies for letters, other tests they might require, and every other piece of pertinent information.

Trusting to generalities and "what's commonly required" will only get you so far and likely runs the risk of missing things or not being eligible for a school you end up really wanting to apply to.
Hmm interesting. I intended on using AP credit to fulfill my stats and general psych credits, and using dual enrollment credit at a CC during high school to fulfill composition/literature requirements but I might rethink that bc that would mean quite a few of my pre reqs would come from community college or AP credit.

As the title suggests, I have a few questions about courses I should be taking that would fulfill most pre reqs for medical schools:

1. I don't really have time to look through every medical school and their specific requirements, so for those of you with more experience, what courses (aside from the usual 2 semesters of physics, orgo chem, gen chem, biochem, and 2 semesters of bio) would you recommend taking to cover my bases for most schools. By this I mean if courses like general genetics, cell bio, microbio, calc 1 & 2, anatomy and physiology etc are worth taking

2. For the courses you guys recommend from question 1, would you recommend I take the lab portion for each class as well as the lecture, or just the lecture section?

** For reference, I am a psychology major, so most of my courses will be focused towards that, which is why I want to intentional with every course I take that does not fulfill a requirement for my major
Your about to embark upon the process of trying to get into med school, which, on average, will leave you in debt to th tune of three Tesla Model 7s.

Make time.

Use MSAR; it has a list of what schools want or recommend

Your about to embark upon the process of trying to get into med school, which, on average, will leave you in debt to th tune of three Tesla Model 7s.

Make time.

Use MSAR; it has a list of what schools want or recommend
I understand. I said that time remark hastily, I will admit. I’m just trying to plan out my next 4 years properly, but I will absolutely take a look at the pre reqs for a good number of schools myself to get an idea of what I need to plan to take. Getting MSAR subscription multiple years before I apply doesn’t seem worth it though.

Hmm interesting. I intended on using AP credit to fulfill my stats and general psych credits, and using dual enrollment credit at a CC during high school to fulfill composition/literature requirements but I might rethink that bc that would mean quite a few of my pre reqs would come from community college or AP credit.
CC credit for English/literature is fine. You may want to take a stats course still (could do it in biostats). If you are a psych major, I am sure your other psych courses likely could substititute over Psych 101.

CC credit for English/literature is fine. You may want to take a stats course still (could do it in biostats). If you are a psych major, I am sure your other psych courses likely could substititute over Psych 101.
Yeah that's fair. I guess I'm just concerned bc I'll end up having gen chem 1 and 2 from a CC as well (again HS dual enrollment thing), so I don't want to have 80% of my prereqs done from AP/CC. I'll just end up retaking a statistics course again.

Also, I had another question. So for my composition credit, technically credit for composition 1 came form my AP Lang class (5 on the exam), but the comp 2 credit is from CC, so again I'm not sure if that comp 1 credit is usable despite an A in comp 2 at the CC.

I'll make my point more obvious: do you have a prehealth office or advisor? What guidance in course selection is available from your academic advising office?
There is a premed advisor, but frankly they aren't very available and I've already tried reaching out numerous times before I select courses, but here I am a week before I have to enroll in classes with no response, so I resorted to SDN.

Yeah that's fair. I guess I'm just concerned bc I'll end up having gen chem 1 and 2 from a CC as well (again HS dual enrollment thing), so I don't want to have 80% of my prereqs done from AP/CC. I'll just end up retaking a statistics course again.

Also, I had another question. So for my composition credit, technically credit for composition 1 came form my AP Lang class (5 on the exam), but the comp 2 credit is from CC, so again I'm not sure if that comp 1 credit is usable despite an A in comp 2 at the CC.
You may want to take a writing elective just in case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember that some schools don’t accept AP credit for required courses.

First, it's all here:

If you don't have a specific prehealth advisor or office, then in general upper-level biomedical science coursework that is not based in ecology are appropriate. make sure the courses you take are for science majors and not nursing or allied health majors. Not all of the upper-level courses have labs.
@Mr.Smile12 I've looked through this list, mainly at my state schools now, and I'm curious as to how much of an impact recommended courses like calculus have on actual admissions chances? Is that something that actually goes into determining if an applicant is fit for an interview or acceptance? Thankfully, much of the required courses and recommended ones are taken care of, but specifically calculus was a class I intended to avoid till after I apply.

Also, thank you for the link, this list is extremely helpful.

There is a premed advisor, but frankly they aren't very available and I've already tried reaching out numerous times before I select courses, but here I am a week before I have to enroll in classes with no response, so I resorted to SDN.
So you've never received anything like a schedule of courses to take to be on track for your degree? What decisions do you need to make on this front?

I'm curious as to how much of an impact recommended courses like calculus have on actual admissions chances? Is that something that actually goes into determining if an applicant is fit for an interview or acceptance?
If calculus is required, yes. If it is recommended, not much... statistics really has gained more value over calculus. However, remember that in holistic review, we don't usually nitpick on a grade in just one class (unless it's like an F in a required course).

So you've never received anything like a schedule of courses to take to be on track for your degree? What decisions do you need to make on this front?

If calculus is required, yes. If it is recommended, not much... statistics really has gained more value over calculus. However, remember that in holistic review, we don't usually nitpick on a grade in just one class (unless it's like an F in a required course).
Well, on the website for my uni, there is a general track for my degree, but its catered towards regular psych majors. I have to figure my own out for a pre med track while still fitting in the psych courses. This thread has cleared some stuff up for me though. I'll retake statistics, because after looking through that list, it was a commonly reoccuring requirement/recommendation. I'll do genetics, cell bio, and microbio too. AP credit covers all my gen ed stuff for my colllege, so it gives some flexibility.

Well, on the website for my uni, there is a general track for my degree, but its catered towards regular psych majors. I have to figure my own out for a pre med track while still fitting in the psych courses. This thread has cleared some stuff up for me though. I'll retake statistics, because after looking through that list, it was a commonly reoccuring requirement/recommendation. I'll do genetics, cell bio, and microbio too. AP credit covers all my gen ed stuff for my colllege, so it gives some flexibility.
Okay. If you want to take this private, send me a conversation or set up an appointment (see my signature).

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but some schools don't accept Pass/Fail grading for the prereqs. MSAR tells you which ones. I crossed off JHU for this reason, otherwise I would've made a donation.

Just want to second the "be careful about AP credit". It's getting more widely accepted, but some schools are still particular about not letting AP credit satisfy required classes.
@Mr.Smile12 I've looked through this list, mainly at my state schools now, and I'm curious as to how much of an impact recommended courses like calculus have on actual admissions chances? Is that something that actually goes into determining if an applicant is fit for an interview or acceptance? Thankfully, much of the required courses and recommended ones are taken care of, but specifically calculus was a class I intended to avoid till after I apply.
Not Mr.Smile, but IME recommended classes are to give you an idea of things you might want to take. My general advice is to take the ones you find interesting and fit with the rest of your focus: for you, as an undergrad, that would have been to take a lot of psych courses on the neuro/abnormal/developmental side of things.

If they wanted everyone to have it, they'd make it required.

Just want to second the "be careful about AP credit". It's getting more widely accepted, but some schools are still particular about not letting AP credit satisfy required classes.

Not Mr.Smile, but IME recommended classes are to give you an idea of things you might want to take. My general advice is to take the ones you find interesting and fit with the rest of your focus: for you, as an undergrad, that would have been to take a lot of psych courses on the neuro/abnormal/developmental side of things.

If they wanted everyone to have it, they'd make it required.
Yeah for the first point, I think the only AP credit I'll end up using is for general psych and half of composition. I'll retake stat at my uni. I'm hoping taking multiple upper level psych courses makes up for taking intro psych at an AP level, so it leaves just comp 1 as an AP credit for me, which I'm okay with since it doesn't conflict with a lot of the schools on the database I looked at.

As for the recommended classes point, your way of looking at it certainly provides a lot more clarity to me, so I will just take classes I enjoy, which likely will overlap with those recommendations at some point anyways. Thanks for the help.

I’m thinking you are an incoming freshman. Is that right? If so don’t get all bound up in what you are taking 4 years from now. Get your Gen Ed classes out of the way and take maybe a science class.
I also want you to be mindful of the AP credits. Schools will be glad to accept them and post them on your transcript. But some schools ( maybe most) expect you to take a class in its place. Like instead of Chem 101 they might require a Chem 201 or Chem for Premed.
Once you get on campus start visiting the premed office, get to know the people etc.
And don’t be too hard on the Person(s) you are trying to contact. Professors, administrators frequently leave campus as soon as school is over.
Good luck as you begin your new adventure.

I’m thinking you are an incoming freshman. Is that right? If so don’t get all bound up in what you are taking 4 years from now. Get your Gen Ed classes out of the way and take maybe a science class.
I also want you to be mindful of the AP credits. Schools will be glad to accept them and post them on your transcript. But some schools ( maybe most) expect you to take a class in its place. Like instead of Chem 101 they might require a Chem 201 or Chem for Premed.
Once you get on campus start visiting the premed office, get to know the people etc.
And don’t be too hard on the Person(s) you are trying to contact. Professors, administrators frequently leave campus as soon as school is over.
Good luck as you begin your new adventure.
I am indeed an incoming freshman. I started this thread because I do have all my gen ed classes out the way via cc and AP credit, which my college has accepted without needing me to take a class in its place. That's essentially 30-40 credits hours out the way, leaving me with 40 hours of psych courses to take to finish my major, and then anything else I want, including the med school pre reqs. I started this thread to get an idea of what courses aside from the general pre reqs I should take in the future so I can plan around my psych classes. I know it probably sounds neurotic, but I just like having all my stuff planned out and laid ahead of me in advance.

And yes I'm probably being harsh on my advisor. They have a life too, so I can't expect them to prioritize me, but this was just a last gasp effort since I have to finalize class choices in a week.

Lastly, thanks for the good luck, and providing some good insight!

And yes I'm probably being harsh on my advisor. They have a life too, so I can't expect them to prioritize me, but this was just a last gasp effort since I have to finalize class choices in a week.
Sure, but it's their job. They may be underpaid or underappreciated, but academic advisors are there to navigate you towards earning your degree.