Question about Closed-file interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

captain23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since the interviewer will not have any information about you during a closed file interview, won't they have all that information AFTER the interview when making decisions on whether they should accept you or not?

I'm concerned about this because if I do very well during an interview and they really like me, but then see my stats on my application, would that change their mind on accepting me?

I'm not really sure how closed-file interviews work during the evaluation process when the committee meets and makes their decision.

Anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Since the interviewer will not have any information about you during a closed file interview, won't they have all that information AFTER the interview when making decisions on whether they should accept you or not?

I'm concerned about this because if I do very well during an interview and they really like me, but then see my stats on my application, would that change their mind on accepting me?

I'm not really sure how closed-file interviews work during the evaluation process when the committee meets and makes their decision.

Anyone?
If your stats weren't at an acceptable level, you wouldn't have been invited to the interview in the first place. So I wouldn't worry about it. Anyway, I'm pretty sure most schools are open file.

If your stats weren't at an acceptable level, you wouldn't have been invited to the interview in the first place. So I wouldn't worry about it. Anyway, I'm pretty sure most schools are open file.

Western is closed file. Look it up on the Interview Feedback tab

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I see how it could be concerning because you won't have a chance to defend any poor performance on your application like you would at the other schools, but for whatever reason that is how they choose to do things. Think of it this way though, looking at the matriculating GPAs and MCATS for podiatry school and having read through tons of threads on here I've seen that the majority of pre-pod students have blemishes on their records, from poor quality grades throughout their academic career to even periods of academic probation or academic dismissal and horrible MCATS. Nobody is getting a chance to defend themselves at closed-file interviews, not you and not anybody else. In a way, it levels the playing field because whatever excuse anybody has doesn't matter. If you've gotten to the Western interview then they are ready to accept you. From what I've heard there are already way more applications this time this year than there have been in decades. Western could have easily just thrown your application in the trash like I guarantee they've already done to a bunch of other people. They're ready to take you at this point based on your history and probably the largest factor now will be how enthusiastic and genuine you seem about podiatry on interview day. Probably 50% of people won't make it past that stage, but then again the interviewer will probably see right through them that podiatry is their backup or that their heart isn't in the game.

Good luck at your interview!

First congrats on the interview! Like bob said they are interviewing you for a reason, because they are interested in you as a student. Closed interviews really leave the bias out of the interview so that they can focus on you as a person giving them the option to understand your character. Just go in be yourself, be open and not afraid to talk to them, and you will do fine! Remember during every aspect of the day they are interviewing you, even during campus tours and things. If they like you it will help any blemishes on your application.

Good luck!

I see how it could be concerning because you won't have a chance to defend any poor performance on your application like you would at the other schools, but for whatever reason that is how they choose to do things. Think of it this way though, looking at the matriculating GPAs and MCATS for podiatry school and having read through tons of threads on here I've seen that the majority of pre-pod students have blemishes on their records, from poor quality grades throughout their academic career to even periods of academic probation or academic dismissal and horrible MCATS. Nobody is getting a chance to defend themselves at closed-file interviews, not you and not anybody else. In a way, it levels the playing field because whatever excuse anybody has doesn't matter. If you've gotten to the Western interview then they are ready to accept you. From what I've heard there are already way more applications this time this year than there have been in decades. Western could have easily just thrown your application in the trash like I guarantee they've already done to a bunch of other people. They're ready to take you at this point based on your history and probably the largest factor now will be how enthusiastic and genuine you seem about podiatry on interview day. Probably 50% of people won't make it past that stage, but then again the interviewer will probably see right through them that podiatry is their backup or that their heart isn't in the game.

Good luck at your interview!
First congrats on the interview! Like bob said they are interviewing you for a reason, because they are interested in you as a student. Closed interviews really leave the bias out of the interview so that they can focus on you as a person giving them the option to understand your character. Just go in be yourself, be open and not afraid to talk to them, and you will do fine! Remember during every aspect of the day they are interviewing you, even during campus tours and things. If they like you it will help any blemishes on your application.

Good luck!

Thank you for the feedback! I am really passionate about podiatry and have been practicing for the interview every day now!
Good luck to anyone of you interviewing!