Question about different types of research, papers, publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fancypantsdance

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to do it on your own? Without a PI of some sort?

What would be the limits of doing it solo, and through what channels could you get it recognized?

Just curious. Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Lack of grants or funding comes to mind. What were you planning on doing exactly?

Is there a way to do it on your own? Without a PI of some sort?

What would be the limits of doing it solo, and through what channels could you get it recognized?

Just curious. Thanks :)
No you can't do it by yourself. Funding isn't an issue if you do clinical work (retrospective), but you will need a PI to back the study, get through IRB, and publish the results. Further, no journal will accept a study with just a medical student as the sole author (doesn't look good for the journal). You at least need an MD/DO/PhD as the final author. Also they provide a lot of guidance in the submission process, review process, and analysis.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks you two.
Lack of grants or funding comes to mind. What were you planning on doing exactly?

I just like reading literature and writing about different associations I find and just health in general. Was just wondering if there was some channel out there I could submit them to or something like that.

Thanks you two.

I just like reading literature and writing about different associations I find and just health in general. Was just wondering if there was some channel out there I could submit them to or something like that.

This is referred to as Article review/review article.

This can be published if done properly. I have been able to publish a review article without the need of a PI (although I did have one look over it before submitting). Keep in mind this was not a high impact journal and it was engineering/science paper rather than just science.

Why would you not want a PI? I'm curious. I've never heard of anyone wanting to do it solo like that as a student.

Why would you not want a PI? I'm curious. I've never heard of anyone wanting to do it solo like that as a student.

Its not that I don't want a PI. My school doesn't have good research opportunities, the main hospital by my school does no research, and I've been turned down by physicians in the area who do research when I asked if they need help. So I'm wondering if there are ways to gain some research experience for my applications on my own, because I feel as though I'm being limited by factors outside my control.

I've heard there will be many opportunities during 3rd year rotations. Hopefully this is true?

Last edited:
How did you approach these research physicians in your area? Is there an MD school nearby?

I'm assuming since you're discussing options going solo that you know your way around statistical analysis and publication writing? Even if you have all of those skills, it would still be in your best interest to find a seasoned researcher to help you.