Question about ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KyleJames

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I have a quick question about ECs. For some reason I'm unable to wrap my head around this.

When an applicant lists 2 years of volunteering, or 2 years of research on their application, does that mean they have completed 2 years of volunteering/research at the time of applying? Or does it mean they could have a year completed and will continue to do whatever it is until matriculation?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When an applicant lists 2 years of volunteering, or 2 years of research on their application, does that mean they have completed 2 years of volunteering/research at the time of applying? Or does it mean they could have a year completed and will continue to do whatever it is until matriculation?
The AMCAS application now allows one to enter future predicted hours, so it could be either, depending on the date span specified.

You list the date you started until the date completed (or date expected to complete). For instance, if I volunteered from Jan 2015-May 2015, I would write that down, but if I started in Jan 2015 and expect to continue until November 2015, I would mark that down too. Obviously it's easier for adcoms to place weight on things you've already done than things you say you're going to do, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question. Would starting an activity the beginning of junior year and saying the activity would be continued through senior year look okay to an adcom?

Another question. Would starting an activity the beginning of junior year and saying the activity would be continued through senior year look okay to an adcom?

Should be fine, though more weight is going to be placed on what you've done than what you say you're going to do, and its definitely possible that the activity is going to be brought up at interviews to see if you've stuck to your plan.