Question about English requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piccolo2385

Fake News Junkie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a quick question about the English requirement that most dental schools have. I have taken two English Composition courses so far (received 10 units), and was wondering if this was enough. Some schools require 8 semester units (or a full year) so I'm not sure if the 10 quarter units I have satisfy that requirement. Also, someone told me that some dental schools accept a passing score on the AP English Literature exam as credit for an English course. Does anybody know if this is true? Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm assuming that you go to UCLA. Since you are on quarter system, you need three quarters of english courses, which is equivalent to 1 year. As far as AP credit goes, some schools accept them, some not. Hence, I highly recommend you to ask each school that you are applying to. Good luck!

Dentalist

piccolo2385 said:
Hey guys,
I have a quick question about the English requirement that most dental schools have. I have taken two English Composition courses so far (received 10 units), and was wondering if this was enough. Some schools require 8 semester units (or a full year) so I'm not sure if the 10 quarter units I have satisfy that requirement. Also, someone told me that some dental schools accept a passing score on the AP English Literature exam as credit for an English course. Does anybody know if this is true? Thanks for the help!

Thanks for the help Dentalist! I'm thinking of adding an English Composition class to my course load for the fall quarter (my last quarter at, you guessed it, UCLA). It's only 1 unit too but it lasts a quarter so that's a good way to get the req out of the way (at least I hope the schools will accept it). My only concern is that I already submitted my AADSAS app without mentioning this course in the "Planned Coursework" section. Do you think it's OK if I call the dental schools about it and then put that information in in January of next year when AADSAS allows me to revise the section? Thanks again!

Hey piccolo,

I am not too sure if 1 unit eng comp course will satisfy the requirement b/c some schools specifically state that they want regular eng comp or lit courses. Also, keep in mind that while some schools like UCSF/UCLA require 8 quarter units of English coursework, other schools like harvard wants 8-semester units of English (equivalent to 12-quarter units). Hence, you might want to go w/ the regular english course just to be safe. If you can't squeeze all the courses in the fall quarter, you can just take any approved English course at JC in the spring quarter. As far as the updating stuff goes, I think it's fine to let schools know you plan on taking the course in the future. Make sure to update this in January when update box becomes available in AADSAS.

Dentalist

piccolo2385 said:
Thanks for the help Dentalist! I'm thinking of adding an English Composition class to my course load for the fall quarter (my last quarter at, you guessed it, UCLA). It's only 1 unit too but it lasts a quarter so that's a good way to get the req out of the way (at least I hope the schools will accept it). My only concern is that I already submitted my AADSAS app without mentioning this course in the "Planned Coursework" section. Do you think it's OK if I call the dental schools about it and then put that information in in January of next year when AADSAS allows me to revise the section? Thanks again!