Question about grades, classes, and gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greekmedic71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 26 years old and in my sophomore year at the local state university. I became a paramedic a few years ago and really loved medicine so much that I decided to declare myself a bio major and started as soon as I completed my training. Before college I really didn't have much motivation for school ( high school years) and barely graduated. Now I am getting a 3.7 and really enjoying learning. So far I have had a few obsticles in my path.

1) not learning the necessary study skills in high school has made college challenging at different times I have to adjust every semester and learn from the mistakes of the previous semester which can be tedious since working, and the class load is time consuming as many of you probably already know.

2) I tend to over think questions on test which can be bad and being a "good' test taker is a challenge despite having an understanding for the material.

I haven't had to much trouble until this semester while taking genetics. Often the professor is all over the place counterdicting what she says giving us the wrong info. The book really isn't that much help either. I don't think the material is that hard but every time I take a test in this class I seem to not do well despite feeling confident and understanding the material better than my friend (who doesn't know it that well but gets A's on all his tests) :confused: It has caused me a lot of frustration and pulled me away from other classes, yet I still plug away. I am worried that the ultimate grade of this class will be a C (pos. a B) and that will make my transcript look bad and prevent me from getting into medical school.

Should I retake the lecture portion if that happens? Or just move on?
Any advice would be great, negative people need not respond.

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully someone chimes in about test taking skills...I know with me I wasn't very good early on either and sorta panicked during tests, but improved from just calming myself during any tests (or even problems) so I could think the question through. Make sure you get your hands on old exams for the class if they're out there...those work wonders!

as far as getting a C, it's ok. Don't retake. Just make sure it isn't a recurring thing. But hey you might do a lot better on the final exam if you put in even more time...good luck