Question about Mayo Rochester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bustbones26

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am thinking about applying to a fellowship at Mayo. Here is my question for anybody that is already there or just plain knows the answer.

How is Rochester? At present, I suffer terrible traffic, horrible commutes, spend an hour in my car at night just to drive 15 miles home, deal with a$$hole drivers, and every potential home within a 60 mile radius is within a crappy housing development where the house are so close together that you can hear it whenever your neighbor passes gas.

Is there any chance that Rochester is not-----
--A terrible commute
--I can actually live in a nice semi-private home at reasonable cost
etc. etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine commutes being that long in MN, especially outside of the Twin Cities areas.

Mind sharing which metro area (I'm guessing somewhere in Cali) you live in so I can be sure to avoid it! :laugh:

Rochester is a small city with typical Midwest cost of living. That means that many residents and fellows buy houses, and traffic is a non-issue. However, if you are from bigger cities, the issue is going to be the lack of big city stuff. It will feel very rural in comparison, even though it is not that far from the Twin Cities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rochester is a small city with typical Midwest cost of living. That means that many residents and fellows buy houses, and traffic is a non-issue. However, if you are from bigger cities, the issue is going to be the lack of big city stuff. It will feel very rural in comparison, even though it is not that far from the Twin Cities.

I am in the Tacoma, WA region right now. Washington/Oregon have some beautiful areas to explore outside of the Seattle/Tacoma region. But living within those metro areas is enough for me. I actually am not from the Washington area to be honest, just ended up here.

I feel that training elsewhere would be refreshing. At present, if the majority told me that Rochester was a horrible trafficky metro with no hope of preserving my sanity, I'd cross it off my list. Yes, Mayo, even if they begged me to!! But that does not sound like its the case so I can still consider it.

Thank you all for your suggestions.