Question About Memory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wjs010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that it is not only important to LEARN concepts in medical school for grades/boards. I also know that it is not disadvantageous to have a great memory...do any of you neurologists know of any research-proven ways to increase memory to retain a large volume of material. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could always try to get someone to give you an ADHD diagnosis...those pills are in high demand.

Also, the answer is not Lumosity.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that it is not only important to LEARN concepts in medical school for grades/boards. I also know that it is not disadvantageous to have a great memory...do any of you neurologists know of any research-proven ways to increase memory to retain a large volume of material. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Agree with watto.

Trying reading Moon Walking with Einstein by Josh Foer. He talks about the memory palace/memory of loci and talks about others techniques also. There are also forums online that mention about the technique as well.

So, loci would be practical to use during med school?

You could always try to get someone to give you an ADHD diagnosis...those pills are in high demand.

Also, the answer is not Lumosity.
I have taken those pills...taking them every day for even a short period of time becomes unbearable. Yes, you study like a champion, but the withdrawal is terrible. It can't last forever. If they were over the counter, I might think again. I'm going to try to not take anything like that in med school...maybe like right before tests in case of emergency. But doing it every time you study becomes impossible. It actually crushes your mood too.

Agree with watto.

Trying reading Moon Walking with Einstein by Josh Foer. He talks about the memory palace/memory of loci and talks about others techniques also. There are also forums online that mention about the technique as well.
but i heard walking with einstein was more of telling you about the method instead of teaching you anything. I'll definitely check the memory of loci out.

but i heard walking with einstein was more of telling you about the method instead of teaching you anything. I'll definitely check the memory of loci out.

Yeah your right. It gives an understanding of memory (I suggest it as a precursor) but their are forums out there that discuss the technique. Here is a wiki of the technique (this is just a wiki and not the in-depth method, images have to be vivid and bizarre for the technique to be really effective)
http://mnemotechnics.org/wiki/How_to_Build_a_Memory_Palace
http://mnemotechnics.org/wiki/Method_of_Loci

If you check their site out, they have more information on learning techniques and has a forum as well (if you tight on money and can't buy memory books).

Last edited:
images have to be vivid and bizarre for the technique to be really effective)

Truth. I can't tell you how much of my med school foundation is based upon sexually graphic content and scatalogical references!

Truth. I can't tell you how much of my med school foundation is based upon sexually graphic content and scatalogical references!
Yea I'm reading that people are saying it won't work if you're not very creative. I hope I will be able to come up with some crazy sh1t to make it work