Question about Ohio State prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulAg

Texas A&M CVM c/o 2014!
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll I was just sitting here looking at what schools I'll apply to next semester if I don't get in this time (pessimistic I know but just in case...).

So I was looking at Ohio's pre-reqs because I wanted to apply there this cycle but didn't because I didn't meet the pre-reqs (still don't to my understanding).

But these look, off? Or does it take that much more to even apply to Ohio? I mean, from the list, that's 100 hours of course work just to apply.

OSUPreReqs.jpg

This is taken from the VMCAS website. Now, I meet a lot of that, like the english comp, ochem, biochem, microbio, math, humanities, and electives.

But what I don't meet is the General Biology, Genetics, and Physics. At A&M only 8 hours of GenBio (I and II) and 8 of Physics (I and II) are offered without getting into the higher level stuff (like sub-atomic physics for physics majors). I could take a quantitative genetics class here for another 3 hours but would that count?

So if I wanted to apply to OSU would I have to take another bio, genetics, and physics class online or something? If they allow substitution I'm pretty sure I could supplement some other course for the last bio and maybe genetics, but not physics (unless they'd take Calculus).

Am I misreading something or does it really take 96 hours just to even apply? I have 125 hours for my degree but like I said, I'm missing a good bit in some of the categories.

Members don't see this ad.

Ohio's requirements are listed in quarter hours, not semester hours which is why the numbers seem off.

So for the 10 quarter hours of physics, 8 semester hours is fine. My 8 semester credits of gen chem was fine for their 15 quarter hours listed. My 3 credit genetics was also fine for their 5 semester hours listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ohio State has quarters instead of semesters, like David said. I've never attended a school that has the quarter system so I am interested in what it is like, pros and cons, etc. I did ask the current vet students about it while I was there, but mostly everyone shrugged and looked indifferent, so maybe it really isn't that big a deal.

Ohhh... I think you told me that already. Haha.

But, I would need Bio II. Unless Animal Biology counts, or Plant Biology for that matter...

And, I only took trig so I would need Algebra (or calc, which is not happening...) right?

Forgetful. :D

Ooooh....so do we just multiply everything by two?

And hey since you got accepted to OSU, would you mind sharing your stats?

Its not as straight forward as multiple by 2. From the OSU website:

http://undergrad.osu.edu/afterAdmiss/intFAQs_credit.html said:
How does Ohio State convert semester hours to quarter hours for U.S. institutions?

Semester hours can be converted to quarter hours by multiplying the semester hours by 1.5. For example, if you took a class that was 4 semester hours, it would transfer as 6 quarter hours. Because we cannot award fractional credit hours, 3 semester hour courses will receive 4 or 5 quarter hours alternately, instead of 4.5 credit hours each.

My stats are in the successful applicant thread.

I know this is purely ridiculous superstition, but I am waiting to post on the "successful applicant" thread until I hear back from the other two schools where I interviewed. :luck:

I would wait too! The idea of laying it all out there before all the cards have been dealt just bothers me. We look forward to seeing your (and everyone else willing's) stats when final decisions are out.

My biochem is 4 quarter units not 5 but I was told it would still satisfy the requirements because it is a comprehensive general course. I would call or e-mail them with specific course questions though I'm not sure if you can substitute core prereqs with other classes.

I know this is purely ridiculous superstition, but I am waiting to post on the "successful applicant" thread until I hear back from the other two schools where I interviewed. :luck:

Same with me. I haven't even heard from UF about an interview yet, so it might be April before I actually post in there, even though I found out from Ohio in the middle of December.

As far as OSU goes, I have 4 credits of genetics, 4 of biochem, 8 physics, 4 microbio, etc. It was fine. Well....assuming I don't fail Microbio this semester. :rolleyes:

Ohio State has quarters instead of semesters, like David said. I've never attended a school that has the quarter system so I am interested in what it is like, pros and cons, etc.

I'd never attended a school on the quarter system until OSU either, so it was definitely a little bit of a change.
Pros:
-start later in september (around the 24-25)
-each quarter is about 10 weeks, (give or take a week) so just when you start hitting information overload, you hit a break.
-Only take on average ~21-25 credits/quarter
-Quarters go by FAST. It's kind of a blink and you miss it- there's never time to get bored.

Cons:
-If you get sick in the middle of the quarter, you really have trouble taking time to rest and recuperate. Especially winter quarter first year at OSU! Once exams start, they come fast and furious.
-Same amount of material, but a little less time to cover it in.
-in school through the first week of June, which makes it slightly more difficult to find jobs/externships ect.
-only one week in between winter and spring quarter, and it usually takes about that long to get out of the "have to study" mode.

Really, it's not bad at all. I love being on quarters!
I'm not sure how vet schools not on quarters work with to compare the differences with and that's about what I can think of- anyone else want to chime in?

Thanks for the feedback, cateyes. :D

Ooooh....so do we just multiply everything by two?

According to Wisconsin vet admissions people, 1 quarter @ OSU = 0.67 semesters @ U Wisc.