question about OK State correspondence courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mama070609

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this the book that the Intro to Animal Science course uses?

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Animal-Science-Biological-Perspectives/dp/0135134862/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219874929&sr=8-1

And is this the one for the Principles of Animal Nutrition course?

http://www.amazon.com/Basic-Animal-Nutrition-Feeding-Wilson/dp/0471215392/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1219875089&sr=1-1

Does Ok State require that you purchase the books from them?

I understand that I'm required to purchase the Course Guides from them.

I haven't registered for the courses yet, as I need to discuss it with my husband first...but I decided before talking to him about it, it would be nice to know if I could save a bit of money by purchasing my text books elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, and yes. If those are both the newest editions of those books, which I *think* they are. Please note that the guy that wrote the ansci book is the same guy that teaches the course itself. I would definitely buy that one, as he likes to use it heavily (since he wrote it ;)). Of course, I took the class in person, but I'm fairly sure that it'll be pretty similar as a correspondence course. As for nutrition, I never used that book - it was all from the notes. You could hold out on buying that one if you wanted, but you may end up needing it anyway because I have no idea what the correspondence course is like.

As for where to actually buy the books (and sorry if this is all you really wanted to know) I think you can buy them from wherever you like. I'm not even sure how you would go about buying them from OKSU. Just use Amazon, eBay, etc. to get them.

A lot of people here have taken these courses through OKSU and I've only heard good things about them. I think that the boards are just slow because everyone is starting classes and have very little time for sdn. Otherwise, I'm sure a few people would have posted about the courses already.

At any rate, I'm happy to help!

I took both courses via correspondence over the summer. You are not required to purchase the books through OK State. The nutrition book is essential for two of the writing assignments for that course, so I think the correspondence course may be different from the regular course in that regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post a link to the Principles of Animal Nutrition page for OK state??

I went online, to their Independent Study page, and could only find Livestock Nutrition and Pet Nutrition. :confused: And I was hoping to take the Principles one this Winter. Hopefully they're still offering it??

Can someone post a link to the Principles of Animal Nutrition page for OK state??

I went online, to their Independent Study page, and could only find Livestock Nutrition and Pet Nutrition. :confused: And I was hoping to take the Principles one this Winter. Hopefully they're still offering it??

I accessed the IS page using a bookmark I created when I took the course over the summer, and Principles of Animal Nutrition is no longer listed! I wonder what that means.

I'll go ask about it at AG hall after my vert morph lab on Tuesday. That would stink if they got rid of the distance learning option for those courses since so many vet students used them as a resource in order to apply to OKSU and other schools...

Thanks twelvetigers, let us know if you can find anything out. if you don't have any luck, i'll try contacting the independent study department.

I really hope they're still offering the class!!!

If they're not, and other people need an online nutrition class, Oregon sent me a list of online nutrition classes that they accept, and I'd be happy to post it here if people are interested.

For anyone waiting on a response here, I did indeed stop by AG hall yesterday and they told me that the courses aren't being offered this fall in the distance learning program. Here's what I posted on another thread:

"Nope, those are not the right courses. For one reason or another, OKstate isn't doing the standard distance learning courses this fall. I have not gotten a reply to my email asking if they plan on doing "Principles of Animal Nutrition" or "Introduction to Animal Science" this spring, but I will let you guys know as soon as I find out!

As for another alternative offered through OKstate, here are the courses offered through independent study. PLEASE NOTE that I have no idea if "Basic Nutrition for Pets" could fulfill the requirement for OKstate or any other vet school. I do not see Principles of Animal Nutrition in this list, so you may want to start looking elsewhere if you really need this course right now.

http://is.okstate.edu/courses.aspx

Also take notice that the books are included in the cost for these programs.

Good luck and I'll follow up with that info for next semester when I can, plus maybe some insight on why they aren't being offered in the normal way right now."

Hope that helps.