Comfortable middle class lifestyle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted421268

In general what income level do you consider enough to live a comfortable middle class life and also what about upper middle class life? Like how much including income from significant other as well. What about if someone were just living by themselves?

Members don't see this ad.

In general what income level do you consider enough to live a comfortable middle class life and also what about upper middle class life? Like how much including income from significant other as well. What about if someone were just living by themselves?
It depends on where you're living. California, New York City, and Boston, eg, take a lot more income to be "comfortable."

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on where you're living. California, New York City, and Boston, eg, take a lot more income to be "comfortable."

Also depends on how big of a family you're trying to support. Where I'm at I'd say 40-50k for a single person would be a comfortable middle class lifestyle and 70-80k would comfortably be upper-middle class. For a family of 4 I'd say ~$60k would be middle class and ~90-100k would be upper-middle class.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much specifically would be enough in those places to be comfortable?

General rule: If you can rent an apartment you feel comfortable in and pay less than 30% of your post-tax income on rent+utilities, then you are living fairly comfortable.

If you have a child, then less than 50% of your income on rent+utilities+childcare, then you are living fairly comfortably.

Reactions: 3 users
Where I am at, this equates to around $35,000 for a single person household, around $45,000 for a couple, and around $55,000 for a single child home. This is for bare minimum comfortable middle classness

If you were in the Bay Area, it would be something like $60,000 for single, $85,000 for a couple, and $110,000 for a single child home.

Kidding aside in all seriousness though how much
Really depends on what your spending habits are. I agree with @MemeLord that housing ends up being the largest expenditure for most folks, so cutting down there can lead to large increases in discretionary income. Without knowing your lifestyle, financial goals, anticipated debt burden, and future expectations, it's hard to give you a ballpark figure.

For myself, I enjoy traveling and trying out fancy restaurants, though otherwise don't mind "living like a resident". I want to achieve financial independence by the age of 50, and to guarantee that my children will not need to go into debt for school. This would not be achievable on $60k / year (which I'm sure many people can live comfortably on), but is very doable with an attending salary. To figure out what you need to achieve your ideal lifestyle, you need to crunch some numbers.

Really depends on what your spending habits are. I agree with @MemeLord that housing ends up being the largest expenditure for most folks, so cutting down there can lead to large increases in discretionary income. Without knowing your lifestyle, financial goals, anticipated debt burden, and future expectations, it's hard to give you a ballpark figure.

For myself, I enjoy traveling and trying out fancy restaurants, though otherwise don't mind "living like a resident". I want to achieve financial independence by the age of 50, and to guarantee that my children will not need to go into debt for school. This would not be achievable on $60k / year (which I'm sure many people can live comfortably on), but is very doable with an attending salary. To figure out what you need to achieve your ideal lifestyle, you need to crunch some numbers.
Well, if we are talking how we WANT to live as opposed to comfortable middle class lol The middle class doesn’t go on vacations. And if they do, it is a road trip to Utah or Colorado. That is the extent of middle class vacations.

Well, if we are talking how we WANT to live as opposed to comfortable middle class lol The middle class doesn’t go on vacations. And if they do, it is a road trip to Utah or Colorado. That is the extent of middle class vacations.
Haha fair. I would fail CARS.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Living in a van down by the river is comfortable for me.

No it’s not a big white van. I’m not a serial killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.