Question about "Research"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

selfhealer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Ive seen many threads and posts which discuss "research" and the importance of having some sort of research experience to list in your application. While I BELIEVE I have a good idea about what constitues "research", I have a question about whether a specific type of research would fit into the category of "good research experience": meaning-would med schools look favorably upon this type of research.

I have been volunteering in the Bio department, doing field research which involves me collecting samples from various parts of a particular body of water. The professor heading up the project is studying the importance of microscopic organisms which occupy the benthic (deepest part of a body of water) region of lakes.
As I said, I am volunteering in the field research, which involves me taking, sorting, labeling, etc- samples from this region of the lake.

This type of research clearly does not fall under the category of "medical research". I am therefore wondering if research of this nature would be viewed as "research experience" by medical schools.

I enjoy the reaseach very much, and will continue volunteering even if the consensus is that medical schools do not view this sort of work as good research experience. However, I would very much like to know if I should count on this research I am doing, as fulfilling med school's definition of "good research experience". Thanks all-SH

Members don't see this ad.

This type of research clearly does not fall under the category of "medical research". I am therefore wondering if research of this nature would be viewed as "research experience" by medical schools.
Yes. Not everyone is a beaker with a pipet in one hand and a microscope in the other. Some applicants have research in nonmedical science fields like ecology, math or engineering, and some also do research in nonscience fields such as psych, history, anthropology, economics, even humanities like ethics. My UG research was in agricultural science and my grad research was in organic synthesis. No problem no how.

I enjoy the reaseach very much, and will continue volunteering even if the consensus is that medical schools do not view this sort of work as good research experience. However, I would very much like to know if I should count on this research I am doing, as fulfilling med school's definition of "good research experience". Thanks all-SH
That's the best and only reason to continue doing it. :thumbup:

^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the response Q. Good to hear that while Im enjoying the research, I'll also be chalking up some good stuff for my application.
So while this type of research Im doing does indeed qualify as "good research" in the eyes of med schools, do they PREFER to see more medical-related research?

Anyway, thanks for the response Q...and thanks.-SH

Members don't see this ad :)
^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for the response Q. Good to hear that while Im enjoying the research, I'll also be chalking up some good stuff for my application.
So while this type of research Im doing does indeed qualify as "good research" in the eyes of med schools, do they PREFER to see more medical-related research?

Anyway, thanks for the response Q...and thanks.-SH
self....just accept a good thing when you have it, and stop dragging it kicking and screaming to the depths of benthic analysis until it drowns. :laugh:

I can't answer that question for every adcom at every med school out there. But what I can tell you is this: med schools value diversity, and diversity is multi-faceted. That includes scholarship in fields other than molecular and cell biology. :)

Q.....Im shocked!!!!
I already told you my ethnic background.....Are you really surprised then, to see my inability to simply "accept a good thing"? :smuggrin:

Q.....Im shocked!!!!
I already told you my ethnic background.....Are you really surprised then, to see my inability to simply "accept a good thing"? :smuggrin:
No. BTW, how was dinner??? PM me when you have some time; you owe me an update. :D