Question for Canadians in Ireland

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C. Ronaldo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about applying for permanent residency in Canada. I have took the test and I get the minimum score to be accepted as a PR. I know that medical school in Canada is very difficult to get in to, so a lot of students go to Ireland to study there. Is there any funding for Canadians or permanent residents to study medicine in a different country like Ireland or do you have to have family give you the money to study? Thanks very much.

Members don't see this ad.

The canadian government will basically give you nothing. You can be eligible for a LITTLE bit of money, something like 8000 cdn a year, which is a drop in the bucket but the upside is the canadian government basically charges no interest on that money and you always get some of your debt forgiven, so you never pay back the full amount. God bless the taxpayers.

Quebec residents get NO money. They have their own student loan program, thus do not participate in Canada Student Loans. Quebec Student Loans do not give $$$ to students studying medicine outside Quebec. Be happy about the measly $8000, as it goes a lot farther than oh, nothing!

To the OP, if you got PR in Quebec, move out.

-S

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't get anything from the Canadian government. So they can kiss my behind. But people I know got around 8 g's.

You'd think the federal loan program would apply across the country. There should be some consistency as to ALL citizens/residents being eligible for Canada Student Loans. Provincial loan programs can be a different story, and they are. (Nunavut doesn't participate in Canada Student Loans either, or one of the northern territories).

Alas, they can kiss my behind too. Who said life was fair?

-S

I find it interesting that noone seems deterred from applying to med school despite the high tuition

the high tuition hasn't really put anyone off, certainly not anyone who is here. there are plenty of sources of loan money that just about anyone can get. the downside is you'll pay through the nose on interest but it all comes down to getting a chance to do what you want.

Ratan1999 said:
I find it interesting that noone seems deterred from applying to med school despite the high tuition
That's because no matter what you end up doing you'll still pay off your loans no problem and lead a comfortable life. It's still cheaper than the private state schools too.