Question for pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

frankmaraschino

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to get some feedback on a strange situation. I take two CII medications, Vyvanse and Adderall. I've taken them both for 7 years, and I've been with my current prescribing doctor for 4 years. I usually fill both at Walgreens. Because of supply problems, I call around every month to various pharmacies in the area to see which ones have both medications in stock.

Usually, Walgreens customer service tells you which medications are in stock at which store. Today, however, they have indicated that their computer is now preventing them from updating customers over the phone about CIIs. At this point, they have transferred me to the actual pharmacy.

This is where things have gotten weird. One pharmacy technician told me that they had the Adderall in stock but not the Vyvanse, but that they couldn't fill one prescription without filling the other. She sounded like she was lying when she said this, not to mention that as a policy it made no sense, and I've filled different prescriptions at different Walgreens too many times to count.

Then I spoke with a pharmacist at another Walgreens who, after pulling up my prescription history on his computer, asked me why I'm not filling my prescription at the Walgreens in my town (his Walgreens is in the town just south of ours -- 15 mins. from my house). Confused, I asked if he meant the actual city limits, and he said yes. Still confused, I replied that various Walgreens in the actual city limits of the town I live in either didn't have the Vyvanse (or said they didn't) or wouldn't say one way or another, and that for convenience I was looking for a pharmacy where I could fill both medications at the same time.

He said that, starting this Monday, Walgreens has implemented a policy requiring patients to fill their prescriptions for CII medications in the actual towns where they live. I wondered if he was lying too, not just because this seems like such a bizarre and impractical policy, but because if that's the case, why didn't he say that first thing before asking me questions?

Any idea what's going on?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no idea what your entire personal situation is, so I don't really feel like I can criticize someone else. Each pharmacy, district, and chain can set whatever policies they want to set. If you don't like this pharmacy, go elsewhere. That's pretty much all there is to it.

I wasn't interested in soliciting criticism of the pharmacy staff I dealt with, I was just curious if anyone has encountered the policies cited and perhaps the reasoning behind them. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.