Question in Micro...urgent...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lisax

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read in the dental decks as the following
RSV is the only member of the paramyxovirus family ( which also includes the measles virus, mumps virus, and the parainfluenza virus) that lacks the envelope glycoproteins hemagglutinin and neuramnidase. Its surface spikes are fusion proteins. Remember: The envelope of paramyxoviruses is covered with spikes, which contain either hemagglutinin, neauraminidase, or a fusion protein that causes cell fusion and, in some cases, hemolysis.

The fusion protein causes cells to fuse, forming multinucleated giant cells(synctial), which give rise to the name of the virus. Rebaviron (virazole ) is used to treat severely ill hospitalized infants. There is no vaccine

My question is that ,are there no vaccines for RSV or are they talking about somehting else cause from what I know of there are vaccines available for RSV. Rebaziron is used as a spray or mist and that too for severe cases in infants...I'm a little confused can soemone help me out plssssssss :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

There is a vaccine available but it is a passive form of immunization. Another thing, don't waste time on the RSV virus - except that it causes colds in infants. However read up on the influenza virus. That is important. I think you are mixing up the features of the two. Somehow I believe the decks are very highly overated.

lisax said:
I read in the dental decks as the following
RSV is the only member of the paramyxovirus family ( which also includes the measles virus, mumps virus, and the parainfluenza virus) that lacks the envelope glycoproteins hemagglutinin and neuramnidase. Its surface spikes are fusion proteins. Remember: The envelope of paramyxoviruses is covered with spikes, which contain either hemagglutinin, neauraminidase, or a fusion protein that causes cell fusion and, in some cases, hemolysis.

The fusion protein causes cells to fuse, forming multinucleated giant cells(synctial), which give rise to the name of the virus. Rebaviron (virazole ) is used to treat severely ill hospitalized infants. There is no vaccine

My question is that ,are there no vaccines for RSV or are they talking about somehting else cause from what I know of there are vaccines available for RSV. Rebaziron is used as a spray or mist and that too for severe cases in infants...I'm a little confused can soemone help me out plssssssss :confused:

TALAL said:
There is a vaccine available but it is a passive form of immunization. Another thing, don't waste time on the RSV virus - except that it causes colds in infants. However read up on the influenza virus. That is important. I think you are mixing up the features of the two. Somehow I believe the decks are very highly overated.

Hey thanks alot for the help... :) ..Do u mean that the decks are not that reliable...

Members don't see this ad :)
The decks are good for a guideline - but that is my opinion, and I am a bit weird ;) . Regardless, some people believe that the decks are perfect. Keep a good textbook by your side or just First Aid.

lisax said:
Hey thanks alot for the help... :) ..Do u mean that the decks are not that reliable...

which text book do you reffer...and by the way believe me no one is weird... : )

lisax said:
which text book do you reffer...and by the way believe me no one is weird... : )

I actually meant review book. Who has the time for a textbook :) . BRS Patho is amazing. So is Micro Made ridiculously simple. But let me stress again, some people do amazingly well by just doing the decks. But to clear up any doubts, kaplan is sufficient (or so i believe). Anyway, I think, you should pm the overachievers in this forum. They may have better ideas.

See you ;)

TALAL said:
I actually meant review book. Who has the time for a textbook :) . BRS Patho is amazing. So is Micro Made ridiculously simple. But let me stress again, some people do amazingly well by just doing the decks. But to clear up any doubts, kaplan is sufficient (or so i believe). Anyway, I think, you should pm the overachievers in this forum. They may have better ideas.

See you ;)

Thanks again for your time :p